Friday, May 26, 2006

Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy & Hope


"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."--Sir Winston Churchill

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."--Sir Winston Churchill



"For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else."--Sir Winston Churchill

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."--Sir Winston Churchill


"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half."--Sir Winston Churchill

"We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire. Neither the sudden shock of battle nor the long-drawn trials of vigilance and exertion will wear us down. Give us the tools and we will finish the job."--Sir Winston Churchill

Sir Winston Churchill is one of the heroes from World War II and for good reason!! When I went to find a quote by him I found a treasure chest of wisdom. I had to stop with these but there were many more gems. In my opinion we need more Winston Churchills today. But I take solace in the fact that Churchill was not looked upon as favorably as he deserved until many years later. I think the same will be true of George W. Bush.

I seem to be in a small minority in my continued support for our awesome president but I've decided thats okay. Our American Girl group went to the Truman Presidential Library and Museum today. Harry Truman did what was right and didn't care about the polls. Many underestimated Truman only to be surprisingly impressed. Again I think the same can be said of W!!!

(Go here to see a bigger version) (They won't let me snag the bigger version to put on here) Cartoon credit: Michael Ramirez

Liberals are bashing Bush over the war and conservatives are bashing him over immigration. On the war I think their points have no merit. War is hell but the MSM and the liberals refuse to point out all the good things, and only the bad. On immigration Bush has made a good start and could stand to improve. But in my opinion he does not deserve all the heated rhetoric and anger that is being thrown his way.


Suzie and Wordsmith both pointed out an AWESOME post to me written by the Anchoress. To be honest it is one of the best posts I have ever read on a blog. I highly, highly recommend that you check out this link to her post. It is entitled, "The Essential President Bush". Here are some excerpts:
"That made me wonder a little - has President Bush lost his bearings, or have we? Is it President Bush who has broken faith with “his base” or have they?

When I read my friend’s line, I thought of a line from Pride and Prejudice, in which Elizabeth Bennett says in new appreciation of Mr. Darcy, “In essentials, I believe, he is very much what he ever was.”

Perhaps I am a dim bulb, but President Bush has never surprised me, and that is probably why I have never felt let down or “betrayed” by him. He is, in essentials, precisely who he has ever been. He did not surprise me when he managed, in August of 2001, to find a morally workable solution in the matter of Embryonic Stem Cells. He did not surprise me when, a month later, he stood on a pile of rubble and lifted a broken city from its knees. When my NYFD friends told me of the enormous consolation and strength he brought to his meetings with grieving families, I was not surprised. When the World Series opened in New York City and the President was invited to throw the first pitch, there was no surprise in his throwing (while wearing body armor) a perfect strike.

And now, the Great Big Immigration Imbroglio of ‘06 has turned “the base” quite vicious. President Bush is no longer simply a moron or an idiot to his base, he is a bad man. He is a bad American. He is a bad president. Everything he does now, is wrong. As yesterday’s WSJ pointed out, Bush is closer to the deified Ronald Reagan on this issue than anyone on the right wants to admit. And they’d never do to Reagan what they are doing to Bush.

How you receive a good has a lot to do with whether any more “good” comes your way. The Conservatives got a “good” in 2000 and 2004; they’re receiving it very badly, indeed. I think the throwing-under-the-bus-of-George-W-Bush by “the base” is one of the most shameful things I have ever witnessed in all my years of watching politics, from both sides of the political spectrum. How do you receive a good?

President Bush has never surprised me. He is, in essentials, the man he ever was. It does not surprise me that he is a Christian man living a creed before he is a President, that he is a President before he is a Conservative. It seems to me precisely the right order of things.

You don’t have to agree with everything President Bush does; I don’t. But he deserves a lot better than he’s getting from his own side. He deserves, dare I say it, a spirit of compromise and workability, as opposed to the hard-line demand for a “perfect” solution (one which will never pass congress) to a problem no one else in government has even dared to even address.

You “base” have received a great good. You’ve forgotten it. Continue to do so at your - at all our - great peril.
"


Blue Star Chronicles also posted on this subject and advertised The Victory Wing blogroll. I was very excited to join and for those of you who agree I encourage you to do the same.

Blogs who also have excellent posts on this subject:
The Essential President Bush--The Anchoress
Quote of the Day--Blue Star Chronicles
Peace Hero--President Bush--Suzie
Supporting Our President--Suzie
Victory or Defeat? I Choose Victory--Mike
The Right Man at the Right Time--Robin
Conservative Battle Fatigue?! Now is not the Time!--Wordsmith

Special thanks to Little Orange Fox for making the anti-defeatism, anti-pessimism, and anti-negativism buttons that you will see on my blog now and in the future. She made them for me at my request.

New to the blogroll:
The Anchoress
Blue Star Chronicles
Chickenhawk Express
Point Five

No comments: