Thursday, April 26, 2007

Deal or No Deal in KC


I did a fun, spontaneous, crazy thing this past Tuesday. My husband found out that the Deal or No Deal game show was coming to KC to do auditions for their 2007 casting call tour. I actually have never watched an entire episode of the show. Yet, in thinking about taking risks lately I had thought it would be a fun to try out for a game show. What really pushed me over the edge to do it was the auditions were Tuesday afternoon when my kids are at their homeschool co-op.

My kids are big fans of the show and their advice to me was HILARIOUS!! My oldest 2 both told me that everyone on the show is either crazy or desperate so I needed to be both. Calvin especially, had several tips that he kept giving me:
1) Act crazy and scream
2) Don't talk about politics Mom, that is too serious
3) Tell them you're in debt

I was totally cracking up. Now to the insane part of what I actually had to go through. I wasn't insane enough to camp out like some did, there were over 2,000 people that were there by early morning. I didn't come until the afternoon but I did wait 5 1/2 hours. My number was 3383 and we heard that there were over 4,000 people that showed up. I had to fill out a one page questionnaire and when it was finally my turn I got 20 SECONDS to make my case for why I should be on the show.

I had a lot of time to think about what I would say. Besides my kids I had friends giving me advice. One of my friends' husband told me to wear a cowboy hat and to show cleavage. I assured him I wasn't going to do either :-).

It was a good exercise to try and think of how you sum up your uniqueness in 20 seconds. I basically said that I was a Christian homeschooling mom of 4 but I had a wild side too and liked Harleys and tattoos. I talked about how I have a passion for life and my theme right now is Tim McGraw's song, Live Like You Were Dying. The guy that was listening to our auditions said he loved the song.

I'm sure that I didn't make it for this round but they said that they sometimes call you as long as 8 months later so who knows? Bottom line though for me was I took a risk, embraced life and didn't choke when it was my turn :-). I'm glad I did it!!

To see the KC Star's video of some of the crazier people in line go here! Also, catch Tony's take on the show :-).

No comments: