Monday, December 19, 2005

"The Wrong Shall Fail, The Right Prevail"

The President gave an awesome speech last night. Bill Kristol said it was similar to FDR's fireside chats. I agree. I'm soooo glad the President has finally gone on the offensive instead of letting the anti-war zealots define him and the war.

My quote of the week was the words he said at the end of the speech. My title for this post also came from there. It was so well said. He was so honest in this speech. He took responsibility for his decisions and actions and yet called his critics to task. I printed the speech out to read it and highlight the good parts. Most of the speech is highlighted. I'm going to put a bunch of excerpts from the speech in this post but I thought one of the most critical lines was this one:

"We do not create terrorism by fighting the terrorists. We invite terrorism by ignoring them."

I so wish liberals could understand this. And I hope liberals and moderates were listening last night. I don't know how you criticize W after this heartfelt speech. He made several pleas to realize what is at stake especially in this line:

"Do not give in to despair, and do not give up on this fight for freedom."
The speech was so good that the liberal who was complaining about W after the speech just made me laugh. No matter what he says or does it will never be good enough. I felt like I was watching a Charlie Brown special and the democrat chic was the teacher and everything that came out of her mouth sounded like, "Wa, Wa, Wa..."

If you want to read the entire speech go here. Below I have posted some of the great excerpts.

"This election will not mean the end of violence. But it is the beginning of something new: constitutional democracy at the heart of the Middle East. And this vote -- 6,000 miles away, in a vital region of the world -- means that America has an ally of growing strength in the fight against terror.

He (Saddam)was given an ultimatum -- and he made his choice for war. And the result of that war was to rid a -- the world of a murderous dictator who menaced his people, invaded his neighbors, and declared America to be his enemy. Saddam Hussein, captured and jailed, is still the same raging tyrant -- only now without a throne. His power to harm a single man, woman, or child is gone forever. And the world is better for it.

I see a global terrorist movement that exploits Islam in the service of radical political aims -- a vision in which books are burned, and women are oppressed, and all dissent is crushed. Terrorist operatives conduct their campaign of murder with a set of declared and specific goals -- to de-moralize free nations, to drive us out of the Middle East, to spread an empire of fear across that region, and to wage a perpetual war against America and our friends. These terrorists view the world as a giant battlefield -- and they seek to attack us wherever they can. This has attracted al Qaeda to Iraq, where they are attempting to frighten and intimidate America into a policy of retreat.

The terrorists do not merely object to American actions in Iraq and elsewhere, they object to our deepest values and our way of life. And if we were not fighting them in Iraq, in Afghanistan, in Southeast Asia, and in other places, the terrorists would not be peaceful citizens, they would be on the offense, and headed our way.

September the 11th, 2001 required us to take every emerging threat to our country seriously, and it shattered the illusion that terrorists attack us only after we provoke them. On that day, we were not in Iraq, we were not in Afghanistan, but the terrorists attacked us anyway -- and killed nearly 3,000 men, women, and children in our own country. My conviction comes down to this: We do not create terrorism by fighting the terrorists. We invite terrorism by ignoring them. And we will defeat the terrorists by capturing and killing them abroad, removing their safe havens, and strengthening new allies like Iraq and Afghanistan in the fight we share.

We continue to see violence and suffering, caused by an enemy that is determined and brutal, unconstrained by conscience or the rules of war.

The terrorists will continue to have the coward's power to plant roadside bombs and recruit suicide bombers. And you will continue to see the grim results on the evening news. This proves that the war is difficult -- it doesn't mean that we are losing. Behind the images of chaos that terrorists create for the cameras, we are making steady gains with a clear objective in view.

Three days ago, more than 10 million Iraqis went to the polls -- including many Sunni Iraqis who had boycotted national elections last January.

One Iraqi, after dipping his finger in the purple ink as he cast his ballot, stuck his finger in the air and said: "This is a thorn in the eyes of the terrorists." Another voter was asked, "Are you Sunni or Shia?" And he responded, "I am Iraqi."

Today in Iraq, seven in 10 Iraqis say their lives are going well, and nearly two-thirds expect things to improve even more in the year ahead. Despite the violence, Iraqis are optimistic -- and that optimism is justified.

Yet there is a difference between honest critics who recognize what is wrong, and defeatists who refuse to see that anything is right.

Defeatism may have its partisan uses, but it is not justified by the facts. For every scene of destruction in Iraq, there are more scenes of rebuilding and hope. For every life lost, there are countless more lives reclaimed. And for every terrorist working to stop freedom in Iraq, there are many more Iraqis and Americans working to defeat them. My fellow citizens: Not only can we win the war in Iraq, we are winning the war in Iraq.
It is also important for every American to understand the consequences of pulling out of Iraq before our work is done. We would abandon our Iraqi friends and signal to the world that America cannot be trusted to keep its word. We would undermine the morale of our troops by betraying the cause for which they have sacrificed. We would cause the tyrants in the Middle East to laugh at our failed resolve, and tighten their repressive grip. We would hand Iraq over to enemies who have pledged to attack us and the global terrorist movement would be emboldened and more dangerous than ever before. To retreat before victory would be an act of recklessness and dishonor, and I will not allow it.
Our forces in Iraq are on the road to victory -- and that is the road that will take them home.

And tonight, I ask all of you listening to carefully consider the stakes of this war, to realize how far we have come and the good we are doing, and to have patience in this difficult, noble, and necessary cause.

And the need for victory is larger than any president or political party, because the security of our people is in the balance. I don't expect you to support everything I do, but tonight I have a request: Do not give in to despair, and do not give up on this fight for freedom.

And I have never been more certain that America's actions in Iraq are essential to the security of our citizens, and will lay the foundation of peace for our children and grandchildren.

Next week, Americans will gather to celebrate Christmas and Hanukkah. Many families will be praying for loved ones spending this season far from home -- in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other dangerous places. Our nation joins in those prayers. We pray for the safety and strength of our troops. We trust, with them, in a love that conquers all fear, in a light that reaches the darkest corners of the Earth. And we remember the words of the Christmas carol, written during the Civil War: "God is not dead, nor [does] He sleep; the Wrong shall fail, the Right prevail, with peace on Earth, goodwill to men."
Thank you, and good night."


P.S. Brit Hume did an awesome special on the separation of church and state last night. If they re-air it, it is a must-see.

20 comments:

Gayle said...

Exellent Little Miss Chattebox... Absolutely right on target! But please don't get up your hopes that the liberals will ever be reasonable, because they are incapable of reason. Maybe I should clarify that: They aren't incapable of reason; they simply hate the fact that they are no longer in control of this great country and so they choose to put themselves first and this country last, which is "shame on them". We will win, I have no doubt. There are more of us than there are of them, even when you add in the treacherous MSM. Last but not by any means least, it is we who are standing up for God in this country.

shoprat said...

We must win because to lose would have unthinkable consequences. It would unleash a world-wide reign of terror unseen in human history.

The media and the left in order to regain its hold on power believes we must lose, all other consequences of losing be damned.

The left believes its own version of "tis better to rule in Hell then to serve Heaven."

James Manning said...

Man, I hate I missed the speech but I was watching my beloved Bears spank Hotlanta's behind.

I'm not even going to waste my time in reading it because I'm sure I'll read the template responses from the right and left.

Right: One of the greatest speeches ever given by a President...

Left: He still has yet to lay out a plan on how to get out of Iraq...

The world of politics is becoming much too generic for my taste... boring so to speak. On a good note, the Bears beat the crap out of Atlanta - 10 below zero in Chicago last night - Vick wasn't ready for that.

Little Miss Chatterbox said...

Gayle: Thanks. Unfortunately I think you are right about the libs.

Shoprat: Welcome and thanks for your comments. I love your line: "tis better to rule in Hell then to serve Heaven." Isn't that the truth.

James: I have a challenge for you. W's speech wasn't that long. Read the full text of the speech and tell me what you disagree with. I know you are convinced that he can do no right but he was right on last night.

James Manning said...

I'll do that LMC, but I know the outcome of this excercise. I will point out the holes - as there are always holes. It is not that I think he can do no right, it's just that he never seems to do anything right. Two different things. But I will give it a go since you requested.

James Manning said...

Ok, Chatter, I posted my take on the speech. Overall, I didn't see anything new about it. It's pretty much a standard speech on the war and it should get the standard response from folks depending on their political leanings and if they actually care about stuff like this.

THE REPONSE

Quick Take on Bush Speech... Spying

Little Miss Chatterbox said...

James: I posted my response on your blog.

Mr. Grey Ghost said...

I thought Bush did a great job yesterday, but did an even better job with his press conference today. I saw the whole thing and came away very impressed! Doesn't mean that the Left will back off of course, but Bush is at his best when he gets in people's ass and stays the course.

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

Excellent Speech, I hung on every word!! And I loved today's too...He was ON FIRE!!! Hoping he continues to fight back and point out the ones causing problems. We are winning and I have no problem w/our President giving authority to listen to terrorists phone calling. I support and respect our President whole-heartedly. When he speaks I listen. Every one of his speeches esp. the last month I have listened to. Sat's was pretty darn good too.

I tried to stay awake to finish watching Brit Hume's special last night...but fell asleep. (due to being so tired) I know they will air it again...I sure hope so anyway...I fought sleep as long as I could...it was so good though.

James Manning said...

LMC, I went a little futher in responding to you.

"We do not create terrorism by fighting the terrorists. We invite terrorism by ignoring them."

The President has created an art form in connecting the need to go into Iraq with the greater war on terrorism. This statement is very true when considering our need to go into Afghanistan but it not true when it came to Iraq. Another fact is that according to the Pentagon, only 7% of the attacks in Iraq are committed by terrorist - the rest are Sunni insurgents who have no agenda outside of fighting American soldiers. So once we leave Iraq, most of the violence will turn towards sectarian violence if the central government is not strong and the Iraqi security forces remain dominated by militias loyal to their regions.

"This election will not mean the end of violence. But it is the beginning of something new: constitutional democracy at the heart of the Middle East. And this vote -- 6,000 miles away, in a vital region of the world -- means that America has an ally of growing strength in the fight against terror."

I have no bones to pick with this comment except we will have to wait and see exactly what type of government emerges from the election. I believe the Shiites and the Kurds have different ideas from America as to what the Iraqi government will look like.

"And the need for victory is larger than any president or political party, because the security of our people is in the balance. I don't expect you to support everything I do, but tonight I have a request: Do not give in to despair, and do not give up on this fight for freedom."


Rhetoric. This means nothing to me.

on spying

As for your comment on the spying. I think the larger question is about executive power. The government already has the means and the ability to spy on Americans suspected of terrorism. The question is does the President have the right to approve it without oversight?

Little Miss Chatterbox said...

GG: I was also very impressed with the news conference today. I was planning on posting on it tomorrow. I sooooooo loved how he took Pelosi, Schumer, Hillary & Reid to task BIG TIME without even saying their names. Sooooo good!!

Suzie: Ditto to all your comments. And ON FIRE is exactly my words to describe how he was in the press conference today. You go W!!!!!!!

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

I loved HIM today at the news conference....Wahoooo!! Kicking butt and taking names....(LOL)

Thanks for visiting me. I would like to add you to my links...hoping that is okay w/you. I love other Christian Conservatives. (smiling)
Appreciate you commenting very much on my blog. Thank you!!

Little Miss Chatterbox said...

Suzie: "I loved HIM today at the news conference....Wahoooo!! Kicking butt and taking names....(LOL)"

Amen to that phrase :-). Exactly!!! I just added you to my blogroll so thanks for the link too.

Gayle said...

Miss Chatterbox, I already commented here on your post. I just came here to tell you that Hoody has a very interesting post (for women because no man would be able to answer it) on his blog found at demoliton65.blogspot.com
Or, if you don't have the link, you can go to one of my blogs. The links are alphabetized by the name of the blogger, so just look for "Hoody's Blog."

I promised to spread the word to the women bloggers that I know. I know you will find it interesting even though it's not political.

Rebekah said...

Well, finally Bush has come out against all this baloney that has gone unchallenged for so long. His approval ratings have gone up - it's not too late!

Great post, by the way. :)

Little Miss Chatterbox said...

Gayle: I gave my take on Hoody's blog.

Rebekah: Thanks!

James: Thanks for your responses. I don't get how you separate Iraq from the War on Terror. The fact that all the terrorists have flocked there is evidence in and of itself.

I understand your concerns about oversight on the spying. But I also don't think we let terrorists get away because we spent a month bogged down in paperwork.

James Manning said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
James Manning said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
James Manning said...

not sure why my comment is acting crazy: try again... third time a charm. Link is not working.

LMC, it doesn't take months to get what the president wants. Generally, from what I've read, this has been done over 19,000 times and denied 5. The warrant can be issued within 72 hours.

http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/fisa/ (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act)

As for the rest of this, I've simply grown tired of the bickering over the war on terror. The fact is that there are people who are going to support whatever move the President makes. I will never support this President - his politics have divided the country in such a way that I don't think we'll ever be able to cross party lines and work on issues. It's a zero sum game and I've really grown tired of it.

I'm preparing myself for graduate school, so I'll have to focus my attention elsewhere. But I am studying Public Administration so I won't leave it alone completely. As for Iraq being a part of the war on terror. I don't think so. Iraq's problems are internal and the few terrorist there are a spoke in the wheel in comparison to the number of terrorist produced in Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Pakistan, Iran and Syria.

Again, this is an excercise in futility because you believe that the Bush way is the only way. I don't think that so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Little Miss Chatterbox said...

James: "we'll just have to agree to disagree."

Agreed!