Monday, March 25, 2013

Columbine!



I recently read Columbine by Dave Cullen.  Cullen spent 10 years on Columbine with his book coming out in 2009.  I was surprised by how many myths and misconceptions were alive and well in the early days and even years afterwards.

Columbine was a tragedy that affected many.  One of the things that struck me from Cullen's book was that both Eric and Dylan came from good families with parents who cared, by all accounts.  Yet, the parents were vilified since both boys were dead and everyone needed someone to blame.

Columbine was emotional for me.  I was still in my 20's at the time, and it reminded of a close friend who died while I was in high school.

As I looked up more on the tragedy, I was encouraged by the stories of the survivors and the victim's families 10 years later.  Nothing can bring those loved ones back, but how the rest choose to move on is inspiring.

4 comments:

Xavier Onassis said...

Never would have happened if they didn't have easy access to guns.

They couldn't have killed that many people with slingshots and rocks.

Dave Cullen said...

Hi. Thanks very much for the kind review.

Mr. Grey Ghost said...

I'm all for background checks to prevent the mentally ill from having guns, but as Chicago shows, "gun control" does nothing. As for Columbine I remember it all too well...good review!

Dave said...


Interesting:

What Are the Best Schools in the Kansas City Metroplex?

http://kansascitygazette.blogspot.com/2013/04/what-are-best-schools-in-kansas-city.html


..