Monday, January 12, 2009

Kick-off of the Bush Thank-a-thon!


As I mentioned previously, this week will be dedicated to remembering and thanking President Bush for his years in the White House. He is giving numerous interviews this week. He started with a Brit Hume interview yesterday that also included his father.

This first post will include some excerpts from posts that I've done over the past years on Bush. My favorite, of course, is the one where I got to meet the President in person. I'll start with that one, entitled, I Got To Meet President George W. Bush. Here is an excerpt:
The President of the United States came to Kansas City today and I got to meet him. I can't begin to tell you what a dream come true this was for me. I got the call 2 weeks ago that I was going to get to meet him and have my picture taken with him. I have been a cross between ecstatic and a nervous wreck ever since. There was the possibility that his plans could get changed or that I wouldn't pass the security check ;-) but otherwise it was supposed to happen. I thought of that line on the movie "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" where Sarah Jessica Parker says "Things are going too well for me, I bet I get hit by a bus." One of my first thoughts was what do you wear to meet the president?

When I got the call I was in shock. I had worked my tail off volunteering for his campaign in 2004 but I figured the time had passed for me to be able to meet him. I had seen that Bush was coming to a special $1,000 dinner for Talent but since I didn't have $1,000 I figured the point was moot. And then I got the call.

There were 12 of us volunteers who got to be on the tarmac waiting for Air Force One to arrive today. It was so awesome to see the motorcade pull in and then to see Air Force One land. I almost had tears in my eyes as I saw him come to the door and begin to descend down the steps.


I had 3 things I wanted to say to him and I was able to get them all said. I let him know what a huge honor it was to meet him, I told him I was praying for him and that I was proud of how he was protecting our country in the war on terror. When I told him I was praying for him he said it was working!!! My only regret was I was talking to him when they snapped the picture instead of me turning towards the camera. Although how appropriate is that, Little Miss Chatterbox is talking to the President while getting her picture taken :-)!
Bush is forever the optimist, which is why I snagged this Thomas Paine quote from a Tom Delay post to apply to President Bush's determination not to give up during the fight against terrorism:
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated."
--Thomas Paine, “The Crisis”, December 23rd, 1776

Two other Bush links from past posts:
--Bush's America: 100% Al Qaida Free!!
--Why President Bush & Tony Snow Rock

Others Participating in the Bush Thank-a-thon:
Right Think--Bush Thankathon! MONDAY


Tomorrow, I plan on starting a profile on Bush. For those of you planning on joining in on the Bush fest, send me your links!

No comments: