Sunday, November 11, 2007

My Take on the Writers Strike


This is my take on the Writers strike.

First, I think the Writers strike is valid and they should get their demands. The above video explains what they are upset about. While Hollywood is awash in money and actors may make obscene amounts writers often don't get near what they deserve. I am almost always against strikes since I am no fan of unions but this time I think they have a point.

Second, I am concerned about the strike. The thought of some of my favorite shows being disrupted is not fun. Save all the lectures on how I will have more time to read and pursue other worthier causes, they won't help ;-). I'm hoping they come to a speedy resolution and soon.

24 already appears to be taking a hit. This article says this season is being cancelled all together and this one says it is just being postponed.

TV Guide shows the status of some of the popular shows, below is the status of some of the shows I watch:
Grey's Anatomy: Eleven episodes will be produced. Seven episodes have aired, so there are four left.

Lost: Eighth episodes will be produced. None have aired yet, so there eight episodes left.

The Office: Twelve half-hour episodes will be produced. Eleven half-hour episodes have aired, so there is one half-hour episode left.

Prison Break: Thirteen episodes will be produced. Seven episodes have aired, so there are six left.

Private Practice: Ten or 11 episodes will be produced. Six episodes have aired, so there are four or five
left.

One Tree Hill: Twelve episodes will be produced. None have aired yet, so there are twelve episodes left.
Another perspective: This guy points out how many people are being put out of work by this strike. Camera, make-up, hair people are all out of work plus numerous others. He talks about how during these strikes many lose their houses and much more. I think it is a bad deal all the way around and I don't understand why the powers that be don't just pay the writers their due and not make everyone, including themselves suffer.

No comments: