Thursday, December 04, 2014

The Civil Rights Movement--Part 1


-My most recent research project was on the FLDS.  I read 8 books about them and watched movies and documentaries.


-Now, I'm studying the Civil Rights Movement.  Recently, I watched the series The Sixties on CNN. There was an episode entitled, A Long March to Freedom, that described the sit-ins and the Freedom Rides. I decided I needed to know more.

-Several years ago, I watched the movie, The Help and read the book.  It further opened my eyes that it really wasn't that long ago, especially in the south, when people were openly racist.


-I realized after watching The Sixties episode, that I didn't know enough about the Civil Rights Movement, especially during the 50's and 60's.  I wanted to learn more about the sit-ins and Freedom Rides.


-I've read Women in the Civil Rights Movement by Judy Hasday and Freedom Rides: Journey for Justice by James Haskins.


-I'm in the middle of listening to The Race Beat: The Press, the Civil Rights Struggle, and the Awakening of a Nation by Gene Roberts and Hank Klibanoff.  I'm learning a lot from all angles about how the Civil Rights Movement took shape.


-I've almost finished reading Harriet Tubman: The Moses of Her People by Sarah Bradford.  I discovered this book as suggested reading in Hasday's book.  I've read a lot about Harriet Tubman in the past, but this book is a fascinating account by someone who actually knew her well and quoted others that knew her well.  I've always thought of her as a heroine, but this book has increased my respect for her and my amazement at what her faith in God enabled her to accomplish.

-I will continue reading and watching documentaries and movies on the subject.  Stay tuned for more to come.

Links:
CORE (Congress of Racial Equality)
NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People)
Sit-Ins
Freedom Riders Foundation
Civil Rights Museum

No comments: