Sunday, November 02, 2014

Fury--A Review

Ideals are peaceful, history is violent.--Don WarDaddy Collier
-I'm a war movie buff, so when I saw the previews for Fury, I knew I wanted to see it.  It shows Pitt leading a tanker crew of soldiers through Germany towards the end of World War II in April 1945.


-Whenever I watch a movie based on history, I look up how accurate it is.  A review on Bustle had this to say:
Though at first glance, Fury may seem as if it’s just another World War II movie with a stellar cast (I mean, Brad Pitt, Shia Labeouf, Jon Bernthal, Logan Lerman, Michael Peña, and Scott Eastwood? Yes, please), don’t write it off as that just yet: While yes, the movie deals with the much-employed setting of World War II, it’s actually much more true-to-life than it seems — even if it’s not based on one singular story. From Street Kings writer/director David Ayer, Fury is actually based on a collection of true stories from real-life army veterans who spent their time during World War II in tanks, just like Pitt’s tank crew in the film.
-Director David Ayer wanted to communicate the personal and emotional price that men had to pay as a result of fighting in the war.  I think the movie did a great job of conveying that.

-Brad Pitt is a phenomenal actor, and I was struck by that as I watched the movie.  I have always loved how Pitt carried himself in Troy.  I saw the same thing as I watched Fury.  He exudes this air of humble confidence as a leader, and it makes you want to follow him anywhere.  I can't even describe the powerful emotions that he is able to convey.

-Fury did a great job of showing the reality and harshness of war, and the decisions that must be made when you are fighting for your country.

No comments: