Tuesday, April 12, 2011

150th Anniversary of the Civil War!

Today is the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War! It is an amazing part of U.S. history. I have become a Civil War buff over this past year, as I did a Unit Study on it with my son for school. I especially was fascinated by the large number of women actively involved in the war, many disguising themselves as men so they could engage in the fighting.

Recently, I started watching additional movies and documentaries and started reading yet another book, The Blue and The Gray by Thomas B. Allen.


I found this older movie with the same title, The Blue and The Gray. It was filmed in 1982 and I'm sure many wouldn't like the quality, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was done in the same time period as Little House on the Prairie and Roots and had some of the same actors star in it. I was also amazed at how accurate a lot of it was, despite the fact that it wasn't a documentary.

After watching Ken Burns' wonderful Civil War documentary, I ended up purchasing it and plan on watching it again.

Previously:
~Women in the Civil War
~Studying the Civil War

No comments: