Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Trip Post 4--Redwood National Park!


During the Summer of 1980, when I was around the same age as my youngest son, my parents took my brothers and I on a trip out West. On that trip, we didn't make it to the Grand Canyon, Sequoia or Yosemite but we did make it to the Redwoods.

My parents were much more adventurous and energetic than I, and we camped during that entire trip. Of course, having tent camped so much during my childhood, I now say thats why I'm a cabin girl. I've served my time tent camping ;-)! It doesn't help that my Dad worked for the U.S. Forest Service. So, we stayed at their campgrounds which never had running water, which translates to no showers and no flushing toilets.

Anyway, I digress, during that visit we saw tons of the above Banana slugs while camping. During this trip, this was the only one we saw and my Mom said it was much smaller than all the ones we saw during the '80 trip.



We also saw lots of Roosevelt Elk, named after one of my favorite presidents, Teddy Roosevelt. I got to see Teddy Roosevelt mentioned at most of the parks because of his conservation efforts and his love for wildlife, nature and parks in general.

Recently, I was grading my daughter's homework and I found this quote in her History curriculum that I thought was excellent. It shows the difference between Teddy Roosevelt's love for nature and some modern day environmentalists:
Unlike most modern-day environmentalists, Theodore Roosevelt did not believe that nature should be preserved for nature's sake. He believed that the nation's natural resources were to be managed for the benefit of future generations.





Of course, even as a 10 year old during my first trip to the Redwoods, I was amazed by these magnificent trees. They are just phenomenal!

We hiked for awhile down some paths and the forests are just beautiful. God's creation is breathtaking. They had these huge 3 leaf clovers, I picked a couple which I pressed to put in my scrapbook.

Basic Redwoods Facts:
-Redwoods are the tallest living things on the planet and among the oldest living things on the earth
-Redwoods have a built-in resistance to disease, insects and fires because their wood contains a chemical called tannin
-Redwood National Park is located in Northern California
-Jedediah Smith was the 1st American known to explore the Redwoods area
-The movies "Return of the Jedi" and "Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World" included scenes from Redwood National Park
-The Roosevelt Elk are one of the largest animals at Redwood National Park. They were named after Teddy Roosevelt who helped save them from extinction.

Books:
--Redwoods
--The Redwood Coast
--Welcome to Redwood National and State Parks
--Redwood National Park

Related Posts:
Trip Post 1--Grand Canyon!
Trip Post 2--Sequoia National Park!
Trip Post 3--Yosemite National Park!

No comments: