Monday, July 13, 2009

A Review of "Valkyrie"


While on vacation my parents and I watched Valkyrie with Tom Cruise. I have to say that it exceeded my expectations and is probably the best character role I've ever seen Cruise play.

Cruise plays Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg, who was one of the key players in what was known as the July plot (Operation Valkyrie) to assassinate Hitler. What was fascinating is that it was more than just an assassination attempt, it was a plan to take over the whole German government. I was wondering how accurate the movie was to history and found this:
Peter Hoffmann, professor of history at McGill University and a leading authority on the German Resistance, was a consultant for the filmmakers. Hoffmann spoke of the film's accuracy, "[Valkyrie] gives a fundamentally accurate portrait of Stauffenberg and his co-conspirators. There are details which must be counted as liberties. But, fundamentally, the film is decent, respectful and represents the spirit of the conspiracy."
My Mom and I were amazed that we had never heard more about the July plot or how widespread the German resistance was. There were a total of 15 assassination attempts on Hitler's life by the time the war ended.

Even though I knew how the movie would end and that the plot would fail, I still found it all to be very inspirational. These men and women put their lives on the line for a cause they believed in, they stood up against evil when they knew it could cost them their lives, and it did. Thats what I call courage. I marveled at the thought of how differently Germany would be viewed to this day if they could've taken back their own country from a mad man.

No comments: