Tuesday, July 21, 2015

2016 Presidential Hopefuls--Rankings!

This is the strongest field of Republican candidates in 35 years.--Charles Krauthammer
For the first time since Bush got re-elected in 2004, I am excited about the Republican field of candidates for president.  During 2008 and 2012, I was discouraged because there were no stellar options.

In my previous post on the 2016 candidates, I talked about which ones were my favorites and which ones weren't.  Since then, I have watched most of the interviews done by Sean Hannity and Bret Baier on their shows.  As each candidate officially announced they were running, Hannity and Baier would then have them on their shows for the whole hour.

As much as it pained me, I forced myself to even watch the interviews of people I wasn't a fan of.  It was good and either helped me to see them in a better light or reinforced why I don't like them.

Now that I have more information on each of the candidates, I've decided to rank them.



1st--Senator Marco Rubio--
This is no surprise, since I have already done numerous posts about him.  I think he has everything that he needs to win both the Republican primary and the general election.

This is what I said about him in the last presidential hopefuls post:
I can't think of much that I don't like about him.  As I said in my post yesterday, he is a solid conservative, articulate about his views, a good sense of humor, optimistic, good looking, likeable and charming.

What sets him apart for me is that he is a solid conservative, he is strong when it comes to his foreign policy, and he has an attractive personality.  You don't win the presidency by being a moderate and by being boring, just ask Bob Dole, John McCain and Mitt Romney.
--Hannity's Interview with Rubio
--Bret Baier's Interview

My previous posts on Rubio:
--Marco Rubio Enters the 2016 Presidential Race
--Making the Case for Marco Rubio--Part 1
--Making the Case for Marco Rubio--Part 2



2nd--Governor Scott Walker--
This man is impressive!  He took on the unions in a blue state and won.  He is a solid conservative and has some great experience from being Governor of Wisconsin.  I LOVED his announcement speech.

3rd--Jeb Bush--
I wanted him to run in both 2008 and 2012, because he was a conservative governor and much better than both Romney and McCain.

He's not my first choice because of his recent stances on immigration and common core.  But I'm surprised at how many conservatives are overlooking his other conservative stances.  Especially since some so called conservatives like Trump for his immigration stance when he has recently held many other very liberal positions on a lot of important issues.

4th--Governor John Kasich--
I've loved Kasich since the first time I saw him on a Sunday morning news show years ago.  I think he has been a great governor of Ohio, and he is articulate and persuasive.  I just don't think this election cycle is his time.

5th--Carly Fiorina--
She has guts and she isn't afraid to take on Hillary Clinton.  I have been impressed with how she has run her campaign, and she has actually made a little progress in the polls.  That said, she hasn't ever held elected office and she lost running for senator.  She doesn't have a chance of winning, but she has been a valuable part of the process.

6th--Governor Rick Perry--
He is a good guy, and I had high hopes for him in 2012.  Yet, he gained no traction and stumbled.  We have better options this time around.

7th--Dr. Ben Carson--
He is a great guy, but has never held elected office.

8th--Rick Santorum--
Oh, Rick... I used to really love him and was so disappointed when he lost his senate seat in 2006.  But he has never had what it takes to become president.  He should've been a great option for conservatives in 2012.  On paper he looks good, but in person he just doesn't cut it.  If he didn't give Romney a run for his money in 2012, he certainly won't against some great candidates this time around.

9th--Governor Bobby Jindal--
I remember anticipating his response to Obama's SOTU back in 2009.  To say I was disappointed was an understatement.

10th--Governor Chris Christie--
Initially, I loved Christie, I was so impressed with how real and outspoken he was.  I wanted him to run for president in 2012.  He reminded me of Scott Walker.  Yet, he went down in flames for many conservatives when he decided to cozy up to Obama right before the 2012 election.  That didn't sit well with me, and he's done a couple other things that have revealed some of his liberal stances, nope.

11th--Donald Trump--
I used to like Trump as a person, and I enjoyed watching The Celebrity Apprentice last year.  That said, he is NOT a conservative.  As many have pointed out,  Trump has held numerous liberal positions, like being pro-choice, giving $ to Hillary Clinton and being for government run health care.

He is also no stranger to offensive comments, as Stephen Hayes points out:
Idiotic statements are nothing new to Trump, who called George W. Bush "evil," who has long advanced birther conspiracies about Barack Obama, and who used his announcement speech to suggest that Mexican illegal immigrants are “rapists.” 
Later in his appearance here, Trump was asked directly by an audience member whether he would rule out running as a third party candidate for president. “No, no,” Trump said. “I won’t go on record as saying that.”
There is no love lost between John McCain and I.  Yet, despite that, what Trump said about him and other POWs was beyond the pale.  People have tried to justify what he said and claim it was taken out of context, but I've seen him make all the comments and he essentially spit in the faces of POWs.

Just because he's taken a strong stance on immigration doesn't mean he's even close to being the right guy to run for president.

12th--Lindsey Graham--
I can't believe he thinks he has a prayer.  

13th--Ted Cruz--
On paper, Cruz looks good, but he makes my skin crawl.  I don't know what it is, but I don't like him.  I forced myself to watch his interview with Hannity and wasn't impressed.

14th--Rand Paul--
As I've made clear on this blog, I am NOT a fan of Ron Paul.  I gave Rand a chance because I thought he might be different than his Dad.  There are some differences, but when it comes to national security, he is just as bad as his Dad.  If I wanted someone who was weak on national security, I'd elect a Democrat. 

15th--Mike Huckabee--
The list of why I'm not a Huckabee fan is extremely long.

Twitter Assessment of the Candidates by @ProducerSusan 's non-political husband (amusing and mostly accurate):

2 comments:

David Capp said...

I definitely agree with the top two, although I don't have a strong opinion on either one as the top. In many ways, they would be a very interesting one two punch at the top of the ticket. I fear Jeb is unelectable, along with Christie who won't get the support of the base (along with Lindsey Graham).

Trump is, in my opinion, a person who loves to hear his gums flap, but he will eventually fall away, as he too is unelectable. The one thing I appreciate about Trump is his fearlessness with the media. Other than that, I don't trust him, and I think he has major character flaws.

So, we'll see how all of this shakes out.

Mike's America said...

I know John Kasich from his early days in Ohio when he first ran for Congress. I met him again here last month. Story at Mike's America.

I like Scott Walker too.

Marco is a great guy and reminds me of Reagan but I still wonder if he's not a bit green.

My debate post is up:

http://mikesamerica.blogspot.com/