Wednesday, April 08, 2015

A Review of The Finish: The Killing of Osama bin Laden


I have been a big fan of Mark Bowden's since I saw him on the documentary, The True Story of Black Hawk Down.  I have his book, Black Hawk Down, which is what the movie with the same name was based on, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.



After I saw the two-night special last year entitled, The Man Who Killed Usama bin Laden, I wanted to learn more and started looking for books about it.  When I saw that Mark Bowden had written one, I knew I had to read it.

Bowden did some brief biographies on some of the key players including President Obama.

He also pointed out some interesting factors that liberals have tried to deny:
--The fact that there was more evidence that Iraq had WMD's, than the evidence they had for where they thought Osama bin Laden was hiding.
--The torture of terrorists did play a part in being able to find Osama.
I thought Bowden, for the most part gave a well rounded picture of all the players involved and the piecing together of the story.

Yet, I did find myself taking issue with Bowden's assessments of President Bush and Obama.  I felt he gave way too much credit to Obama and not enough to Bush.
--He interviewed Obama extensively, and quoted him often.  Whereas, he didn't take the time to interview Bush.
--He was critical of Bush, and blatantly accused him of things that I thought were unfair and not true.
--He gave Obama a lot of credit for finding Osama bin Laden, yet, Bowden admitted that a lot of what enabled Osama to be found was advances made in technology that weren't there when Bush was president.
 All that said, I did think the book provided a good, overall picture of what lead up to and what happened when Osama bin Laden was killed. 
 

No comments: