Tuesday, February 24, 2015

A Review of Unbroken


I saw Unbroken, the movie at the theaters twice and reviewed it here on my blog. After seeing it, I knew I had to read the book that it was based on.  The movie was good, but the book was so much better.

Laura Hillenbrand did an amazing amount of research and then told the story in a captivating way.  Louie Zamperini's real life story is compelling, and Hillenbrand did a great job of bringing it to life.

What is even more amazing, is that Hillenbrand suffers from CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome).  She isn't able to leave her house for days at a time, yet, she has written two books that have won numerous awards.

I was not only inspired as I read about Louie's life, but I learned A LOT of history as well.  I've realized that most of us know much more about World War II history that took place in Europe, than we do about what took place in the Pacific.

When I saw The Great Raid back in 2005, I learned about the Bataan Death March.  My friend and I couldn't believe that we were just now learning about it.

So, that said, if you want to be inspired and learn history at the same time, take the time to read, Unbroken.

No comments: