Tuesday, February 04, 2014
Chronicles of a Waitress!--Part 1
I have worked at several different jobs the past 2 years, and right now I am a waitress. It is amazing how differently you see the world, once you are on the other side of it. I have gained a whole new respect for those whose wages are based solely on tips.
So, that said, I thought I would make a humorous list that would help people to see what it is like to serve the public. I'm sure there will probably be some follow up posts after this.
1) Just in case you were wondering, a $4 tip for a $70 order is not acceptable. Especially, when your waitress busted her butt for you.
2) Please don't blame your waitress for something she has no control over. Example: the kitchen staff drops your food on the floor, and your waitress has to wait for them to remake your food. Your waitress makes $3.70 an hour, so when you punish her by not tipping, you are taking away her livelihood.
3) When you give your waitress a generous tip, you make their day and restore their faith in mankind, especially when that waitress has had a rough week.
4) Gel inserts in your shoes help, but not enough!
5) I totally get high maintenance guests (since I can be one), but that requires extra work and means you should leave your waitress a better tip.
6) Waitresses are required to do more than just wait on their guests. They are constantly working during their entire shift, doing side work in the kitchen, running other food, helping the kitchen staff. And again, they only make $3.70 an hour, so tips are their main source of income.