Thursday, January 05, 2012

2012 Iowa Caucuses!



I have been out of the loop for awhile. Yet, between starting on Twitter and the primaries I have gotten re-engaged.

I was discouraged for awhile to see Newt as the supposed "conservative" alternative to Romney. The 3 people being talked about were Romney, Newt and Ron Paul which made for a perfect nightmare for me.

As I've said, I like some things about Newt but you never know when he's going to throw one of our own under the bus, or join the Democrats on something. Rush called it imploding, which I thought was a perfect description. And I think thats exactly what Newt is doing right now by throwing a temper tantrum over Romney's attacks.

I was always amazed at how well George W did at dealing with personal attacks. Newt is the perfect example of someone who doesn't deal well. And if he can't handle this, then he's definitely not presidential material.

So, after being bummed about all of this, I was pretty excited to finally see a "real conservative" alternative to Romney, in Santorum, doing well. I don't know how long it will last, but I will happy while he does.


Michelle Bachmann decided to get out, since she came in 6th place. I loved her speech, and it made me proud to be a Republican woman.

Sarah Palin hasn't been overly kind to her and that has disappointed me. The other weird thing is that she defends the Ron Paul supporters, as did a pollster today. They are urging us as average Republicans that we need to listen to them.

I have several problems with this:
1) Ron Paul supporters hate Sarah Palin, so I don't know why she's defending them.
2) As for the pollster saying we need to listen to the Ron Paul people, a huge majority of the Ron Paulites defect to the Democrat party once Ron Paul doesn't get the nomination. So I don't see the point.
3) Read this article, and then tell me Palin, pollster and anybody else that I'm supposed to listen to the Paul supporters!!

6 comments:

dons_mind said...

i just can't believe you actually think we're being given a choice here di! romney will be the gop candidate - it's pre-ordained by the party and the media. don't matter that he's not a conservative, and is a mccain republican (liberal as they can be without actually calling themselves democrats).....it's a done deal....romney will be the guy...problem will be, he can't beat obama........

Tom the Redhunter said...

Sorry, but the idea that any candidate is "preordained by the party and the media" is hogwash. The fact is that valid polls show a majority of Republican party voters support Mitt Romney. That this is not in accord with your wishes is no reason to go off with conspiracy theories.

Romney may not be able to beat Obama. But I think he stands the best chance of doing so of any Republican. Paul is a joke and Gingrich would get killed. Second to Romney I would say Santorum has the best chance of winning, so if he is the nominee I won't be disappointed.

Mike's America said...

I've been wondering where you have been Dee!

I vote in less than ten days here in SC and for me it's a choice between Santorum and Gingrich. I don't have the qualms about Gingrich that you do so lean in his direction. I remember all he did to win the House in 1994 which was the biggest boost to the conservative cause since Reagan's election in 1980.

I just do not trust Romney now, any more than I did when I met him here four years ago. I do not think he is a conservative and worry that if he were elected he would simply go along to get along and much of what Obama has done would stay in place.

I don't worry about the "electability" question much. Romney has about as many weak points as Newt and would fit in perfectly with Obama's class warfare campaign painting the GOP as a bunch of rich Wall Street types who don't care about the little guy.

A trained poodle could beat Obama. What is just as important to me is what our candidate would do AFTER being elected.

Tom the Redhunter said...

Apologies, I should have also commented on your post, Dee.

I think you are right in almost all respects. Newt is a bright guy and a good conservative but his temperament is not suited to running for president. Romney is not as reliable a conservative as I would like but I can live with him. Santorum is a good social conservative but is not strong fiscally. That said, I do like him. So I could live with either Santorum or Romney.

Bullfrog said...

I think Romney would be even less conservative than people expect. Sure, he has had some recent changes in his views (conveniently) but he can't erase history. His past decisions shows he would be more of what we have now in Obama.

I too am between Newt and Santorum, with a slight edge to Gingrich based mostly on his resume.

Incognito said...

The only two that have any chance are Romney or Gingrich.
Paul is frighteningly popular, but he wouldn't have a chance in heck of beating Obama, and frankly with his foreign policy views, he'd be more dangerous than Obama.
Slim pickings again this time around.