Friday, August 07, 2009

Summer Thank-fulness!


I was expressing to a friend that I was a little frustrated that I hadn't accomplished more with my summer. She reminded me that I had done things with my kids that they would remember. As I thought about it, I knew that a lot had been done this summer and I had a lot to be thank-ful for, even though some things were left undone.

It seemed like everyone started talking about getting ready for school weeks ago and I still had all these projects that I hadn't gotten too and books I hadn't read. When I talked about having a productive week at home, my teenage son convicted me by asking if VBS week hadn't been productive? Obviously, I was talking about 2 different types of being productive, but his point was made nevertheless.

All of this to say, that I thought I would make a list of the things I have to be thank-ful for that did get done this summer even though I only have 3 weeks left to get to those projects and books.

What I'm thank-ful for that did happen this summer:

1) Beth Moore Bible Study on the Patriarchs! I am hooked on Beth's Bible Studies ever since doing hers on Esther in the spring. Yet, the homework is not for the faint of heart, they take quite an investment of time.

2) Our Church had a great week of VBS! I helped teach a class of 5th and 6th graders and brought my 4 kids. I also loaded up a bunch of other kids that came with us on different days. I'm not sure what it is, but VBS week is always exhausting but fun and worth it all at the same time.

3) Trips! The 2 younger kids and I went to visit my parents while my husband and teens went on a Missions trip.

4) Pool Days! Again, there is a reason we have a mini-van. I take not only my kids but usually 2 or 3 others with us whenever we go to the pool. The kids have fun and I get to work on my tan.

5) Karate and my Blue Belt--I got my Blue Belt in June and with each belt things get a little tougher and you have to remember more! I figure with all that I have to remember with each belt, I'm helping to ensure I put off getting alzheimer's ;-).

6) Sports Camp & Projects! I think this is what set me up to get frustrated. The first week after we were done with school my 2 younger kids attended and my 2 older kids helped at our Church's Sports Camp. That meant that I had the whole week to myself during the day. I got some major house projects started and I have never gotten back to them since. But I am thank-ful that I at least got them started.

I'm sure there are more, but those are what come to mind right now. What are you thank-ful for that happened this summer? I'd love to hear your list. If you decide to do one too, send me your link in the comments or via email.

No comments: