--Sen. DeMint (R-SC) Has Questions for Obama's Press Conference
Below are the top five questions Sen. DeMint would've liked the president to address last night:
1. If the major provisions of the health care bills will not kick in until 2013, four years from now, why the rush to pass a thousand-page bill before the August recess, a bill you admit that you haven’t fully read yourself?
2. You have said your health care bill will cut costs and not increase the deficit. But, independent analysis by the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office contradicts both claims, saying it will raise costs and increase the deficit by $240 billion in the first ten years. What independent analysis will you provide that supports your claims and refutes CBO’s?
3. You have repeatedly said that your health care bill allows any American who likes their current employer-based plan to keep it. But the most comprehensive independent analysis available, by the Lewin Group, contradicts your claim and found your bill will force over 80 million Americans to lose their current coverage. Will you provide independent analysis to refute this study?
4. Your own record in the Senate reveals you spent years voting against nearly every reform to make health care more affordable and accessible, but this week you said that opponents of your plan are “content to perpetuate the status quo, [and] are, in fact, fighting reform on behalf of powerful special interests.” Which specific elected officials will you cite that have proposed to keep the status quo, and is that how you characterize the opposition of the 52 Blue Dog Democrats in the House and the moderate Democrats in the Senate?
5. Yes or no question: Will you guarantee pro-life Americans that, under your plan, they will not be forced to subsidize elective abortions?
--O'S BROKEN PROMISES (HEALTH BILLS V. PREZ'S WORDS)
President Obama promises that "if you like your health plan, you can keep it," even after he reforms our health-care system. That's untrue. The bills now before Congress would force you to switch to a managed-care plan with limits on your access to specialists and tests.
--Millions Would Lose Private Insurance Under Health Reform Bill, Study Shows
--Leading Blue Dog Democrat: Pelosi Does Not Have the Votes for Health Care Reform
ABC News' Jake Tapper and Z. Byron Wolf report:
How is health care reform progressing on Capitol Hill?
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., today insisted everything is smooth sailing with the House bill that would require every American to have health insurance or pay a fine; create a government run health plan to compete with private insurers to drive costs down; and impose an up to 5.4% new tax on top wage-earners.
“I have no question that we have the votes on the floor of the House to pass this legislation,” Pelosi told reporters.
But a leading conservative “Blue Dog” Democrat told ABC News that claim is questionable.
“No, I don’t think they have the votes,” Rep. Mike Ross, D-Ark., said, arguing if that were the case he and the other six Blue Dogs on the House Energy and Commerce Committee who have been holding up the bill in committee would be under far less pressure.
--Obama Doesn't Even Know What's in his own Health Care Bill
--Doctors Wage War Against Obama's Health Care Overhaul
--Make sure you check out the Heritage Foundation's Rapid Response Page dedicated solely to Obama's Health Care plan