Wednesday, July 08, 2009

My Take on Michael Jackson!


When I was 13 years old and buying my first albums, I bought a copy of Thriller. I liked a couple of his songs and thought he was a good singer. As the years went by his popularity soared and so did his bizarre behavior. To be honest, I didn't pay too much attention. So, I didn't really know much about the first allegations of child sex abuse in 1993.

Then, as an adult, I started to see how tormented Michael Jackson seemed to be, as the surgeries and behavior increased. By the time the second set of allegations of abuse against Jackson were filed in 2005, I was paying attention. The surgeries, the behavior and the allegations all pointed to someone who was a very tormented individual.

I watched a documentary on him that showed how he kept having surgeries so he could look like his hero, Peter Pan. He named his ranch, Neverland and he spent time with young boys. Jackson never had a childhood and seemed determined to spend the rest of his life attempting to re-create one.

Micheal Jackson's death is tragic, as any loss of life is. We don't know yet how culpable any of his Doctors will be in his death. Yet, the bottom line is he had insomnia, he wasn't at peace with himself or his life and he was willing to go to great lengths to find drugs to help him sleep. While I feel sad about the loss of life and empathy for his children, this man was not a god to be worshiped. He was a great entertainer, but one who like Presley and many others found fame fleeting and needed more out of life and didn't find it.

No comments: