Friday, May 29, 2009

My Thoughts for the Week...


1) My Take on Sonia Sotomayor--
As a woman am I glad that a Hispanic Woman is being nominated to the Supreme Court? Yes!

Am I impressed by her personal story? Yes!

Am I EXTREMELY CONCERNED about how she is going to rule if she makes it to the Supreme Court? Yes!

What are my biggest concerns so far? She doesn't seem to understand the basic fact that Judges are supposed to interpret the constitution instead of making laws.

Am I irritated that she won't go through 1/8th of the hell that Bork, Thomas, Roberts and Alito went through? Yes! Obviously, Bork and Thomas had it a lot worse than Roberts and Alito but lets not forget that Senate Democrats had Alito's wife in tears.


2) Harry Reid is trying to rival Joe Biden for being the Biggest Loser! I couldn't believe Reid had no shame in saying the following about 84 yr. old Barbara Bush and George W. Bush in his book.
“[Former Texas senator and vice-presidential candidate Lloyd] Bentsen went on and on effusively about what a quality man President-elect [H. W.] Bush was. Then he paused and said, ‘But watch out for his wife; she’s a bitch.’ I have never had anything against Mrs. Bush, but guided by Bentsen’s crude advice, I’ve always said that our forty-third president is more his mother than his dad.”

3) My take on Colin Powell--Liberal Dave asked me in a previous post if I thought there was still room in the GOP for people liked Powell. My answer would be yes, but...

I am not happy with Powell because both Bush presidents promoted him within the party only for him to bash and betray our party. The base of our party is conservative, so we should run it. There is room for moderates but they don't get to run the show. Powell got his IDEAL candidate in McCain, a very moderate Republican. So, instead he votes for the most liberal Democrat candidate we've ever had run for President.

Now Powell thinks he can go around insulting people like Rush and Cheney who the base adores and thinks that this is somehow going to endear him to the party. He can stay, I just don't know why he would want to when all of his ideals seem to be aligned with the Democrat party.

No comments: