Saturday, January 31, 2009

Michael Steele is the New Chairman of the RNC!


"We have a lot to gain through furthering stem cell research, but medical breakthroughs should be fundamentally about saving, not destroying, human life. Therefore, I support stem cell research that does not destroy the embryo."--Michael Steele
I've been a big fan of Michael Steele's ever since I saw him running for the U.S. Senate in Maryland in 2006. He was outspoken about being against embryonic stem cell research and cloning, and I was impressed. Michael J. Fox did an ad for his opponent (Ben Cardin) in the race, just like he did for our Senator's opponent here in Missouri.

I did a post entitled, Republican Rockstars the weekend before the 2006 election where I included Steele and this is what I had to say about him:
Michael Steele is running for the senate in Maryland and this guy is AWESOME!!! He is a conservative's dream on most issues and he is a dynamic speaker who has a great presence about him. I saw him on Meet the Press with his opponent Ben Cardin and I almost felt sorry for Cardin because Steele just shone compared to the old guy. Here is the video of his appearance on Meet the Press. I didn't agree with all his statements on the War in Iraq but otherwise he was great. Here are some of his positions on the issues that I was really impressed with:
"Steele is opposed to abortion including in cases of rape and incest. He supports federal funding for stem cell research (e.g., adult stem cell research or cord blood stem cell research) if it does not cause the destruction of a human embryo--as is the case in embryonic stem cell research. He supports free trade, tax cuts, school vouchers, welfare reform and tort reform. He opposes gay adoption and supports a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage."

I was rooting for him to be the RNC's new guy, so I'm very happy that he got it. One of the first things I said during this past election cycle was, "Who is the head of the RNC?" The reason was, things were not being run as smoothly as they were in 2004 and 2006. Ken Mehlman did a much better job than whoever was in charge this past year. So, I'm very happy to have someone like Michael Steele.

Patrick says its a victory for RINOs, but I would disagree. I don't know any conservative that doesn't love him, I think all Republicans, conservative and moderates alike, are ecstatic about him.

The icing on the cake, Conservatives for Palin give examples of Michael Steele's unwavering support for Sarah Palin.

Gateway Pundit also thinks its terrific!
Mike thinks he's the right man for the job at the right time!
Rivka wants to learn more about him.
Politik Ditto thinks he's going to need to court Hispanics.

No comments: