Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Yesterday was a Crazy News Day!



"I had such great hope for him," said Mel Gibson, who played Ledger's father in "The Patriot," in a statement from the actor's publicist. "He was just taking off and to lose his life at such a young age is a tragic loss. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family."

1) I was deeply saddened by the sudden death of Heath Ledger at the young age of 28. I adored him in both The Patriot and 10 Things I Hate About You. My sentiments would very much echo Mel Gibson's.

2) I was totally SHOCKED when my Governor Matt Blunt announced that he will not be seeking re-election. Liberals have not been happy with him over the past 4 years and some Conservatives were upset when he supported Amendment 2 in 2006. That said, there was still no expectation for him not to seek re-election. While I was upset with him over the support of Amendment 2, I think he has been an excellent Governor. He was very aggressive in supporting and passing Missouri's version of Jessica's law and he was a wonderful fiscal conservative. He was the only Governor in 2006 to get an A from the Cato Institute.

It will be interesting to see what Republican will run in his place against Democrat Jay Nixon. Lt. Governor Peter Kinder has already said that he will announce his plans to run.

3) Fred Thompson drops out of the Presidential Race. This did not surprise me but did sadden me. I was hoping he would at least stick it out for awhile to suck votes away from Huckabee but many are saying a lot of his votes will go to Romney, so not too bad.

4) Frances Semler finally resigns from the Parks Board. You would not believe how this woman was demonized by the liberals here in KC. What was her crime? She had the audacity to be a member of the Minute Man group. She was accused of being a member of a hate group and as a result minority groups started threatening not to have their conventions here. I am astonished at how ultra-liberal the city of Kansas City actually is.

No comments: