Friday, January 25, 2008

Life is Short


James 4:14--Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.

I could talk about the Republican debate (even though I missed it) or Icognito getting to see Rudy in person or Bush's awesome tax cut plan, but I'm not going to.

Instead, I'm going to talk about cherishing life. The tragic death of Heath Ledger got me to reflecting on life and how fleeting and precious it is. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to use someone's death as a way to exploit some cause. I don't care why someone died, I'm just sad they are dead. If we want to talk about causes and preventions thats fine, lets just do it later.

My kids and I listen to Odyssey, and we were listening to an episode yesterday about a little girl dying of cancer. I got all teary-eyed listening to it. Its just sad to think about someone's life being cut short.

Death happens every day. Yet, I think when it doesn't hit close to home we tend to have the illusion that we will never die and no one close to us will die. When I lost a close friend to suicide at age 17 it came as such a huge shock. When you are in high school you think you and your friends will live forever, it is a big jolt when you have that rude awakening to reality.

So today, lets make sure our lives have a purpose and meaning to them and live them to the fullest. One of my favorite quotes is the one Becky has at the top of her blog:
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn'€™t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ...Mark Twain
Carpe Diem!! Seize the Day!!

P.S. I will probably be out of commission this weekend, I'm having a minor, out-patient surgery. Everyone have a great weekend!!

No comments: