Saturday, August 11, 2007

Fun Smorgasbord

You Are 55% Feminist

You aren't a total traditionalist when it comes to gender roles. But you're no feminist either.
You generally think that women should be treated as equals, but you're not convinced the world should be gender neutral.


1) Are You a Feminist?
I found this over at Timothy's blog where he discovered he was only 17% Feminist ;-). I actually like this description for me because I find it pretty accurate. I'm not a total traditionalist but I'm not a feminist either but I do think women should be treated as equals.

2) What book got you hooked? I found this site at a friend's blog and I found it really interesting. I love to read myself and I love to read to my kids. In the past couple of years I haven't read near as much to either as I would've liked but I love books. The site talks about what book got you hooked on reading and they have the top 50. There are a lot of my favorites on the list that either I read as a kid or I read to my kids or both. Go here, to see the list. Below are my favorites from the 50 list:
--Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
--Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
--Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
--The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
--The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner
--Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
--The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring Lowrey
--Go, Dog, Go! by P. D. Eastman
--Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman
--Curious George by Margret and H. A. Rey
--Dick and Jane by William H. Elson
--Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary
--The Bobbsey Twins by Laura Lee Hope
--To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
--Clifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell
--Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
--Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
--Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
--Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
--One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
--Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss
--Mother Goose's Nursery Rhymes and Nursery Songs
--Encyclopedia Brown by Donald J. Sobol
--The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
--The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
--Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
--The Bible
--Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary
It is hard to pinpoint all of your top favorites but some of the books that really bring some of the best memories for me as a kid were probably:
--Beverly Cleary's Ramona series
--The Trixie Belden Mystery series
--Small Pig by Arnold Lobel
As a Teen, S.E. Hinton's "The Outsiders" was a huge book for me and the movie with Matt Dillion came out the same year I read it for English class. But thats a subject for a future post. I recently bought the anniversary DVD of the movie and I had a lot of thoughts about the movie and the book that I wanted to post on.

No comments: