Sunday, July 08, 2007

Who am I?

WHO AM I?--CASTING CROWNS

Yet another Casting Crowns song, I'll be picking a new artist next week, I promise :-). This is such a meaningful song. I remember the first time I heard it and how awesome I thought the lyrics were.

In my early years as a Christian I was very gung-ho about being the best possible Christian I could be. I went all out and tried to be as "spiritual" as I could. The passion and commitment were admirable along with my intentions. The problem is if you aren't careful, it can lead you down a road of pride and perfectionism that isn't healthy. While I was at Bible College all of these things came to a head. As I was struggling to be the perfect Christian I was discounting God's grace. I remember a philosophy professor talking about how we should care more about who God is than what we are "doing" for God. That was the first step in a process of letting go of some of the "works" and focusing on Worshiping God for who He is and not how "perfect" I can be for Him. The first step in learning to be a Mary, instead of a Martha (Luke 10:38-42).

Which is why the words in this song are so meaningful to me. It is about what God has done and is, not about what we have done or who we are.
Who am I?
sung by Casting Crowns

Bridge:
Not because of who I am,
But because of what you've done.
Not because of what I've done,
But because of who you are.


Chorus:
I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow,
A wave tossed in the ocean,
A vapor in the wind.
Still you hear me when I'm calling,
Lord, you catch me when I'm falling,
And you've told me who I am.
I am yours.
I am yours.

For the rest of the lyrics, go here!

No comments: