Thursday, June 21, 2007

My 1st Radio Experience


First of all, I just want to thank everyone for being so supportive. I am so thank-ful for what a great support system I have. I had a lot of friends praying for me and sending me words of encouragement. I have to admit the night before the show I was pretty nervous. I'm thinking, maybe I shouldn't have told so many people about this :-).

So how did it go? Overall, pretty good. I'm sure I still have TONS to improve on and lots to learn but no major screw-ups so I was able to heave a sigh of relief when I was done. I even got over my nervousness about 10 minutes in and by the end of the show I felt like I was in my element. I did have a glitch at the beginning. I had to click a button twice to make sure I was on the air. I did that but the button was still flashing. Then one of the producers asked me if I was still there and I panicked and thought that I hadn't been on the air yet so I repeated my first minute or so of what I had just said. Other than that, no major mistakes.

Our blogging friend Patrick was my first caller. I can't tell you how great it was to hear his voice. I have visited his blog for about 2 years now and talked to him via email but had never heard speak. He has this awesome South African accent that I guess he's not fond of but I thought it was wonderful. And I can't begin to tell you how much more relaxed I was after he called. He joked with me that he wasn't sure when he was going to get a word in edge-wise. I'm not called Little Miss Chatterbox for nothing. This next week I plan to try and slow down a little and give out the phone number more often and ask for callers to weigh in with their opinions on the topic I'll have at hand.

Also, my friends Rebecca and Joia called in. I talked with both of them about immigration. Overall, it was a good experience and the people at the radio network gave me positive feedback. I was asked if I was ready to expand to 2 hours. I said I would love to but not right away. I want to have at least a couple of weeks to get used to doing 1 hour.

Two of my friends took me out to lunch to celebrate and it was a lot of fun. They too commented on how much they loved Patrick's accent ;-)!!

Many of you have mentioned that you missed the show but would like to listen. They are re-airing it several times this week so just go to their site to see when it will be on next. It is called, Conservatism with Heart. The radio network (Togi Entertainment) will be giving me some kind of icon to put in my sidebar to link to them. In the meantime I may just put a link by itself in the sidebar. Tune in next week where I will have Mike from Mike's America on as a guest.

No comments: