Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day!!


Father's Day makes me think of how thank-ful I am for my Father God, my earthly Dad and my husband. RT asked for our favorite memories of our Dads and I wrote that one of my best memories of my Dad is that he always listened to me and cared about what I had to say. He made me feel that what I had to say had value. That makes a big impression, especially on a girl in her teenage years. When I look at my husband I realize that personality wise he is very different from my Dad and yet listening is what they both have in common. One of the reasons I married my husband is because he's a great listener (thats important when you like to talk :-))).

My kids are so great at the gift giving. My kids picked out neat things for my husband and made him cards and other neat stuff. My 12 year old even sent him an e-card at work on Friday.

I had an amusing experience while trying to pick out cards at Target, though. My 3 other kids were at various places and it was just me and my talkative 9 year old daughter. While I'm trying to pick out cards for my dad, my father-in-law and my husband's step-dad my daughter keeps reading cards out loud and making incessant comments (I wonder who she gets that from :-)). I think it took me 3 times as long to to pick out the cards. Towards the end she sees this card with the word beer on the front. She's like, why would it say beer on here? By this time I'm almost incredulous about all the commenting and I'm grasping at straws, what am I supposed to say about this? The lady next to me has a big smile on her face. I finally say, well some Dads like to drink beer. I'm sure I should've used it as a teaching moment but I was worn out and left it at.

Anyway, Happy Father's Day to my dad, my husband, my father-in-law and all my fellow bloggers out there who are Dads. You rock!!

No comments: