Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Grading the Republican Candidates at Debate #2


AWARDS

Best line of the night--Rudy
"That's really an extraordinary statement, as someone who lived through the attack of Sept. 11, that we invited the attack because we were attacking Iraq. I don't think I have ever heard that before and I have heard some pretty absurd explanations for Sept. 11. I would ask the congressman to withdraw that comment and tell us that he didn't really mean that."

Funniest line--Mike Huckabee
Congress has "spent money like John Edwards at a beauty shop."

High Five line--Mitt Romney
"My fear is that McCain-Kennedy would do to immigration what McCain-Feingold has done to campaign finance and money in politics -- and that's bad."

Best pop culture line--Tom Tancredo
"I'm looking for Jack Bauer at that time."

Best immigration line--Duncan Hunter
"We need to be able to ask people when they want to come into America: Knock on the front door because the back door's going to be closed."

Best explanation on the sanctity of human life--Mike Huckabee

This debate was a million times better than the MSNBC one on so many different levels. My blood pressure didn't get near as high this time. Wendell Goler, Chris Wallace and Brit Hume all get an A+ for their job as moderators. Their questions were fair, good and tough at times. I also liked the bell so much better than Matthews whining at the candidates to stop talking.

I wasn't overly impressed or awed by anyone so can't pick a winner but I will dole out some grades, starting with the worst.

GRADES

Ron Paul--Biggest Loser of the night--F
Don Surber calls him the Republican Kucinich, my sentiments exactly!! I think one of the moderators said it best when he asked if Paul was running for the nomination of the wrong party. This man's take on national security and defense is horrific and as bad as most of the Democrats. I was so proud of Rudy for taking him on when he basically said we deserved to get attacked on 9/11. Hello? Has Paul been spending time with Michael Moore? He also wants to gut the Department of Homeland Security. Thank God this man doesn't have a prayer of winning the nomination.

Tom Tancredo--The other crank--D
Dean Barnett called Ron Paul and Tom Tancredo the cranks after the last debate. I can't think of a more fitting description for both of them. Tancredo is totally sanctimonious and self-righteous and really annoys me. The only reason he doesn't get an F is because I loved his reference to Jack Bauer in response to the question about the terrorist attack.

Jim Gilmore--Mr. Pompous--D
Jim Gilmore doesn't necessarily say anything wrong but there is nothing about him that is likable or great. He comes across as pretty arrogant, pompous and annoying. I'm not impressed.

Tommy Thompson--D
I view Thompson as very similar to Gilmore. Nothing atrocious but nothing great either. He just doesn't come across well.

John McCain--Mr. Despicable--D+
He actually did a couple of good things which is why he didn't get an F. He lost points for caring more about world opinion of us than our safety, for saying that Bush mishandled the war and for being wishy washy on tax cuts. He gained points for his drunken sailor line and for being strong on the war.

Sam Brownback--Mr. Boring--C-
Sam Brownback is great on most issues except the war, but as Barnett also pointed out he is just so lackluster. He gained points last night for giving a good answer to the gas prices question and for saying that U.S. lives are more important than world opinion.

Mike Huckabee--Mr. Irritating--C
Huckabee would've gotten a higher grade had he not ticked me off on a couple of issues. He had some great lines but also some irritating ones. Normally I put him in the same category as Brownback but he broke out of the pack a little last night. It still doesn't change my opinion much but nevertheless, he had some high points at the debate. I thought his John Edwards' line was by far the funniest line of the night and his monologue on the value of life is one of the best I've ever heard.

Yet, his insinuation that Bush didn't listen to his generals and he would've and he would've done things right the first time was the height of arrogance. It really bothered me. Hindsight is 20/20 and the arrogance in his forceful statement really ticked me off.

Duncan Hunter--Mr. Strong--C+
Hunter didn't really do anything to stand out at the debate but I just love how he comes across. I trust and believe what he says and he has a strength to him that is impressive. I liked his immigration line and his stance on China.

Mitt Romney--Mr. Plastic--B
I'm not a big fan of Romney as I alluded to in my last post but he had some good moments last night. Points against him were that I just don't find him believable when he says things. He says he will be tough on the war on terror but I just have a hard time believing it. He also sounded like George Bush Sr. when he said he wouldn't raise taxes.

I did really like his line about McCain-Kennedy being like McCain-Feingold. Awesome score with that line. I also liked his answer about the civil rights struggle being in the education realm with some kids not getting a good education.

Rudy Giuliani--Mr. Tough--B+
My biggest issue with Rudy is obviously on abortion, there is no way to get around it and I thought Huckabee's response to him was correct. Yet, on pretty much everything else Rudy is impressive. When he says he will fight the jihadists I believe him. When you looked at his face when he responded to Ron Paul you saw the passion and that he believed firmly in what he said.

Tammy Bruce and I must be cut from the same cloth, look at what she says here:
"Giuliani and Hunter were the most impressive to me. Tancredo not great on everything, but generally very good. If there was any doubt after the last debate,. Ron Paul need to be locked up somewhere. Something is wrong with him."

Previously:
My take on the first debate--You didn't just say that!!

Others blogging:
Michelle Malkin
Hot Air
Sister Toldjah
Mike's America
Flopping Aces
Dean Barnett
Tammy Bruce
Gateway Pundit
A Voice of Reason

No comments: