Friday, February 09, 2007

I like People Who are Real


"People will love you for being yourself more than for being perfect or for imitating someone else."--Dr. Archibald Hart

Awhile back I did a post entitled, Flawed Heroes where I shared my heart on having heroes that aren't perfect. What do all my heroes have in common? They are real. I don't like people who are wishy washy, who don't know what they believe or try to be someone they are not. Be who you are and have people love you or hate you and let the chips fall where they may. The quote that I highlighted at the top has been a quote that I think of often and is a quote to live by.


What got me thinking about all of this is Patrick's post on Rudy, Until we resurrect Reagan.... He talks about how Rudy isn't perfect but he is real. I think that is one of the reasons I am so drawn to Rudy. Here are some excerpts from Patrick's post:
Rudy is a fairly open and honest man. He also sticks to his convictions (unlike Romney and McCain who seem to change their minds depending on which way the wind is blowing.) I trust someone who sticks to his principles (even if I don't agree with them) more than a person who adapts his principles to what he thinks others want to hear. Rudy is, as far as I can see, a sincere man. He's not a phony or a liar or two-faced.

Now, if Rudy picked Duncan Hunter as his VP, I would be a very happy voter. Actually I wouldn't even mind if he picked Joe Lieberman. All I want from politicians is they stick to their convictions and are fairly honest, sincere and trustworthy. So, until we resurrect Reagan, Rudy is the horse that I'm betting on.

I am still doing some soul-searching about the 2008 candidate but I would have to say that I am 90% in agreement with what Patrick says here. If Rudy picked Hunter or Gingrich for his VP I'd be a pretty happy camper. I just can't see myself supporting McCain or Romney when I doubt their sincerity this early in the game. If someone better comes along thats great but I don't see anyone else on the horizon right now.

This will be very hard for me because I know there is going to be a lot of conflict within the party over our nominee. There are Christians that don't like Romney because he's a mormon. I do believe Mormonism to be a cult but I don't see that influencing Romney's ability to be president. I'm more concerned about his insincerity.

There are Christians that will refuse to support Rudy because of him being pro-choice. It will kill me if I pick a different candidate than Tony Perkins and James Dobson. My dad always told me that he would never support a politician that wasn't pro-life and for many years I have been in 100% agreement with him on that. The only reason I'm even considering Rudy is because I think the biggest areas that the pro-life issue influences are Judges. So when Rudy said he would pick strict constructionists I believe him, why? Because he's real and I don't think he says things just to appease people. If Romney or McCain said that I'm not sure I would trust them. Trust is a big issue. Why am I still so loyal to Bush? Because I trust him. I think the same of Rudy.

I still remember the first time I saw Rudy on Meet the Press. I asked my mom, who is that guy? I love him. I also remember the first time I saw McCain on Meet the Press. I said, who is that jerk? There are gut instincts that many times pan out to be true.

No comments: