Wednesday, January 17, 2007

When it comes to McCain Just say No!!

Pic Credit: Rush

"I will need medics to carry me out of the polling booth if my party forces me to choose between Hillary and the Traitor McCain."--Troll

I am very concerned about the talk that John McCain is the frontrunner for the Republican nomination in 2008. I and others are determined to make sure that doesn't happen while there is still time to thwart his candidacy. I was extremely pleased to see Dr. Dobson's recent remarks regarding McCain. Here are some excerpts of what he had to say:
"Speaking as a private individual, I would not vote for John McCain under any circumstances," said James Dobson.

He noted that legislation he'd just been discussing on the program, regarding an attempt by Democrat leaders in Congress to create obstacles for ministries such as Focus to reach constituents with action messages about pending legislation, is being supported by McCain, too.

The provisions of the new congressional proposal, hidden deep inside a plan to reform lobbying rules to eliminate the many recent scandals involving members of Congress, would require pro-family groups to provide documentation of their actions to the government any time they try to spark any "grass-roots" action.

Phone calls, personal visits, e-mails, magazines, broadcasts, phone banks, appearances, travel, fundraising and other items all would be subject to government tabulation, verification and audits, Dobson said during a recent program. "On and on it goes."

"Clearly, the objective here is to hide what goes on from the public and punish and silence those of us who would talk about what our representatives are doing," Dobson said of the plan by Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev. American Family Association Chairman Donald Wildmon, Family Research Council President Tony Perkins and American Values President Gary Bauer joined Dobson in urging listeners to flood Capitol Hill with phone calls demanding those speech limits be removed.

"Republican leaders in Congress during this term apparently never understood, or they forgot, why Ronald Reagan was so loved and why he is considered one of our greatest presidents. If they hope to return to power in '08, they must rediscover the conservative principles that resonated with the majority of Americans in the 1980s – and still resonate with them today. Failure to do so will be catastrophic," Dobson said."

I have a lot of respect for Dobson and I must say that 90% of the time he speaks for me. I have never been a fan of Falwell or Robertson for various reasons. If you pinned me down and asked me what Christian spokesman I most identify with it would be Dobson. After graduating from college and getting married I listened to Dobson's Focus on the Family program every day. He is the reason I decided to homeschool and why I got involved in politics. So I'm relieved to see his declarative statements on McCain.

So why does the thought of a McCain presidency concern me so much? Let me list the reasons why.

1) McCain Cares More About Campaign Finance Reform Than the First Amendment. Campaign Finance did nothing to take money out of the process but did everything to silence free speech. It was a direct violation of the First Amendment. Matthew Roberts had this to say about it:
"As noted by a whole host of commentators (George Will, Jonathan Rauch, and even Justice Clarence Thomas), this act poses blatant restrictions on political speech. It especially affects AM Radio and political internet blogs – the only two spheres of popular media where conservatives can truly compete. Critics remain divided why McCain supported a dictate so damaging to conservatives. Was it perhaps so that he could silence many on the Right whom he laconically loathes?"

Also, after trashing the first amendment McCain made sure that his cash cows were protected. Here is an excerpt from one of my earlier posts:
"McCain preaches to everyone on the corruption of money and yet it turns out when he planned his Campaign-Finance bill he had some loopholes. Guess what one of the main ones was? Indian Tribes. Who is the biggest receiver of Indian Tribe money? John McCain!!! Thus the picture of John McCain as "Chief Speaking Bull". The Cato Institute had an article entitled "Campaign Finance Folly" from 2002."
McCain even admitted that clean government is more important to him than First Amendment rights. So in other words he would sacrifice the constitution for any pet cause that he deems more important.

2) He was the head of the backstabbing gang of 14. I cannot even begin to tell you how this incident made my blood boil. One of the reasons I was so concerned about the outcome of the elections in 2000 & 2004 was because judicial nominees are so important. I had been just sick about how the Democrats were filibustering all the nominees and not even letting them come to the floor for a vote. The word on the street was that the Republicans were going to go with the "nuclear option" or the "constitutional option" as Rush termed it. I was so excited that finally there would be no more obstruction and filibustering. Right before it was to happen I see the breaking news that McCain and 13 other senators have come up with this ridiculous compromise where as always the Republicans do all the compromising. Ever since that day the phrase "Over my dead body will John McCain get the Republican nomination" often comes out of my mouth.

3) He supports embryonic stem cell research.

4) He seems to have a complete disdain for the Christian Right. Again, I'm no big fan of Falwell or Robertson but the way he bashed them and talked about Christians gave you the impression that he despises Conservative Christians. Its hard to woo a group that you have expressed extreme dislike for. His back peddling with Falwell doesn't impress me at all because it doesn't seem to be even remotely genuine.


Toon Credit: Glenn McCoy

5) He seems to be more concerned with the rights' of terrorists than protecting the American people.

6) He seems to have no core principles. This point seems to sum up my concern about McCain. He flip flops on the issues and he gives me this uneasiness that he will betray conservatives any chance he gets. He has voted against a gay marriage ban. Yet recently he's made contradictory statements knowing that he needs to support one to win over many conservatives. It is the same on abortion and taxes. The real problem is you never know what he really believes. He seems to be so enamored with media attention that he seems to say or do anything that will garner praise from them.

He has betrayed conservatives in the past and he gives no indication that he wouldn't do it again at the drop of the hat. In short I don't trust McCain and thus could never support him. I don't agree with much in this article by Chuck Todd but he does express well conservatives dislike for McCain:
"Conservative ire for McCain is real. The question, of course, is: Are there enough of these conservatives to stop McCain from getting the GOP nomination? Apparently, it's a question both Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani are determined to find out.

I've never fully understood the blind rage conservatives have for McCain. On some issues, like pork-barrel spending and earmark reform, he's a standard issue, small-government conservative. The guy is pro-life (though his libertarian tendencies on social issues seem to concern some evangelical types), and he's one of the most hawkish legislators in the upper chamber. There's nothing in his record that screams "liberal" other than his comfort level in dealing with the media. I've always wondered if McCain's acceptance by the media has actually hurt him with conservatives who don't trust media outlets like, say, the New York Times.

When pressed about why they hate McCain, a movement conservative usually ends up concluding that it isn't any one issue, although some do bring up the Gang of 14's scrutiny of judicial nominations, immigration and the McCain-Feingold campaign finance legislation. It's more of a gut check for these folks. They just don't trust him to stay true to his Republican roots. They believe that once he's in office, he'll act more like former President George H.W. Bush than Ronald Reagan.

For many of these folks, there isn't going to be anything McCain can say or do in the next year that will sway them to his side during the primaries."

The reason I want to stop McCain is because I don't want it to come to a general election and have no one to cheer for and support. I may have to do what Troll once said at Mike's blog, about needing "medics to carry me out of the polling booth if my party forces me to choose between Hillary and the Traitor McCain." But I would refuse to lift one finger to get him elected. And as many of you know I spent many hours volunteering for both Bush and Talent in previous elections.


For those of you who agree with me I urge you to join me as I join Blogs against McCain. Bloggers are showing their influence more and more and its time to have our say on who our party nominates for 2008. Just say no to McCain!!

No comments: