Monday, December 18, 2006

Honesty, Optimism & Encouragement


Okay, so this picture describes how I've felt lately :)!! Christmastime is supposed to be this wonderful time of year and in a lot of ways it is. Yet I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling overwhelmed, stressed, anxious and depressed.


I'm a sanguine so I can never stay down for long but I get in these short ruts where it just seems like there is too much to do and not enough things going right and life just sucks. Thats where I'm at today. So I decided before tackling my overwhelming list of projects I'd better sit down and fill up my empty cup by spending some time with God. Max Lucado's devotional had a bunch of encouraging stuff that I thought would be fun to share. This first one I need to remind myself of everyday. He talks about how kids never want to go to bed and then can't wait to wake up.


Here is an excerpt:
A Well of Optimism
"Oh, for the attitude of a five-year-old! That simple uncluttered passion for living that can't wait for tomorrow. A philosophy of life that reads, 'Play hard, laugh hard, and leave the worries to your father.' A bottomless well of optimism flooded by a perpetual spring of faith. Is it any wonder Jesus said we must have the heart of a child before we can enter the kingdom of heaven?"
I think we can apply that quote to our adult lives by just adding two words: "Work hard, play hard, laugh hard, and leave the worries to your Father."


The other devotionals talked about how God is with us, He loves us no matter what we do and that we need to leave our worries with Jesus on the cross. They were all awesome reminders and the last one was really cool because it reminded me so much of my flawed heroes post. Here is an excerpt:
God Uses People
"Would you choose a wanted murderer to lead a nation out of bondage? Would you call upon a fugitive to carry the Ten Commandments? God did.

The reassuring lesson is clear. God used (and uses!) people to change the world. People! Not saints or superhumans or genuises, but people. Crooks, creeps, lovers, and liars--he uses them all. And what they may lack in perfection, God makes up for in love."
So my encouragement for the day is to, 1)"Work hard, play hard, laugh hard, and leave the worries to your Father." 2) Remember that God uses us to change the world despite our imperfections.

UPDATE:

My friend read this post and sent me this Hallmark e-card. It is hilarious. Check it out, it will make your day :-)!!!

No comments: