Sunday, November 12, 2006

Tribute to the Veterans & the Psalms


Last year on Veteran's Day I linked to this video but this year I wanted to actually post it on my blog since I know how to do that now. Literally everytime I watch it I tear up. I found this over at Rachel's blog.

Bloviating Zeppelin has some really neat posts up at his blog. There are 3 different posts talking about his father, grandfather and great-grandfather who all served in the military during wars. He has some great photographs and it is very touching.

Lone Pony has a neat post on adopting soldiers to make sure no soldier feels unloved or unsupported.

Also, Check out Wordsmith's awesome Veteran's Day post.

And I would just like to say I am thankful to each and every soldier who has sacrificed and put their lives on the line for my freedom. There is no way to express my gratefulness and appreciation. May God bless each and every one of our men and women that are serving right now and/or have served in the past.


As some of you may have noticed I deleted my spiritual blog. I just didn't have time to keep up with it. I'm hoping that occasionally on sundays I can do some kind of short, encouraging devotional to give people a lift for their coming week.

This week my thoughts turned toward the Book of Psalms. I can't begin to tell you how much I love the Psalms. During my highschool and college years I struggled a lot with anxiety, fear, guilt and condemnation. I found a lot of refuge in the Book of Psalms. I still use my college Bible because its special to me and a lot of the Psalms are highlighted and it encourages and comforts me to see it.

If you are ever struggling the Book of Psalms is a great place to go. I have numerous favorites that make them hard to list but some would be Psalms 34, 91, 103 & 121. I always remember a card that my dad sent to me while I was at college that had Psalm 121 on it. I memorized it and it brought me a lot of consolation. I am going to post the words in the hope that it will encourage even one person today.

PSALM 121
I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From whence shall my help come?

My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.

He will not allow your foot to slip;
He who keeps you will not slumber.

Behold, He who keeps Israel
Will neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord is your keeper;
The Lord is your shade on your right hand.

The sun will not smite you by day,
Nor the moon by night.

The Lord will protect you from all evil;
He will keep your soul.

The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in
From this time forth and forever.

No comments: