Thursday, November 02, 2006

I Apologize to No One...


"Please stop it. Stop talking. Go home, get on the bike, go windsurfing, anything. Stop it. You’re going to ruin this."--Don Imus (liberal talk show host)

"I guess Kerry wasn't content blowing 2004, now he wants to blow 2006, too."--Anonymous Democratic Congressman

I know everyone and their dog has been talking about this but being the chatterbox that I am I just had to have my say.

1) There is no way to spin what Kerry said. I have been in the trenches of politics for awhile now and never have I seen a more definitive statement that can't be spun away. And yet Kerry ineptly made an attempt. It was so sad to watch. His quote was everywhere, we ALL had the video (Kerry had to be cursing You tube yesterday) and yet he attempted to say that he was being taken out of context. Hello?? We all saw and heard him make the statement!!

2) His spin was pathetic! I meant to bash Bush, it was a joke that got botched. What in the world was he talking about? Watching Alan Colmes try to defend him tuesday night was beyond sad. I was cheering on Michael Barone when he told Colmes that his arguments on behalf of Kerry were "intellectually indefensible". That just says it all!!

3) When Tony Snow throws you a lifeline, take it :-)!! Here is an awesome quote from Tony Snow's press conference from yesterday:
"Two words, really -- two words were sufficient to convey an apology: I'm sorry. And he hasn't -- I think Senator Kerry is -- I think he's insistent on pointing fingers at the President, or whatever, rather than simply saying -- look, it's real simple; you and I and everybody in this room have said things that we didn't intend to say, and when it offends people, you say, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say it, I'm wrong. And he hasn't done that. All he has to do -- it's really easy -- say, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend the troops. But instead there's always, I'm not going to apologize for going after the President. Fine. But there are troops out there who are clearly unhappy.

And again, how hard is this? You say something, it's not what you meant to say, you apologize. You say, I'm sorry. And instead, he's coming out and accusing Republicans of dirty tricks. This is helpful advice. We're trying to help you out. We're throwing you a lifeline, buddy. Just say you're sorry. It's not hard."
Let me say it for the 100th time--Tony Snow Rocks!!

4) His apology was a non-apology and pathetic. I remember reading over and over again in marriage books before I got married that you don't apologize and then say but... You just say you're sorry and leave at that. If you say I'm sorry but you made me mad or I'm sorry but if you hadn't done this, etc... you totally take away from the apology and it doesn't help things to heal. Kerry said "I sincerely regret that my words were misinterpreted to wrongly imply anything negative about those in uniform..." Again what planet is the guy on or what is he smoking? Saying that he was misinterpreted conveys that he takes absolutely no responsibility for what he said. It is all our fault because we "misinterpreted" his words. The arrogance he displays with this mentality just astounds me.

5) Kerry's comments represent a mindset of many on the left. (I'm not talking about my resident liberals who are much more rational than the average leftie.) Dean Barnett had this to say:
"The reason this Kerry thing has struck such a chord is because it reminds the electorate of certain facts concerning the modern Democratic Party. Even if John Kerry was making a dumb joke about the military, it’s a subject that his party and Kerry in particular just don’t have the credibility to jest about. If Robert Byrd began a joke by saying, “There’s a white boy, a Jew and an African American,” chances are his most loyal supporters would tear him away from the microphone and tell the crowd that it’s time for the Senator’s afternoon nap. The one-time Kleagle just can’t joke about such things. The same holds true for the Democrats, Kerry and the military."

"Lastly, the Kerry affair matters because it reveals fundamental truths about Kerry’s party. Both Kerry and his party remain arrogant and unserious, especially on matters concerning the military and national security. It sure was nice of the Senator to remind the public of these things a week before the elections."

No comments: