Monday, October 02, 2006

Why I'm not a big fan of Moderate Republicans


"Uncompromising men are easy to admire. He has courage. So does a dog. But, it is exactly the ability to compromise that makes a man noble."--This is said by the despicable man who betrays William Wallace in the movie Braveheart. This is exactly the opposite of what I believe. The reason Braveheart is my favorite movie is exactly because Wallace was a man who fought for his beliefs with courage and didn't compromise.

"There are two things you find in the middle of the road: a moderate and a dead skunk, and I don't want to be either."--John Ashcroft

I am pretty sure this post is likely to tick some people off but such is the nature of things. This blog is an expression of me and most of the time I write what I think regardless of whether someone will like it or not. The following quote is so true:
"To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing."
Obviously seeking to avoid criticism is no way to live life and thus I charge ahead :-).

I have major issues with those who consider themselves to be moderate republicans. Now ofcourse it depends on how you define that. Mahndisa considers herself to be somewhat of a moderate but she is not who I'm talking about. Mahndisa has strong opinions on various issues and she happens to be strongly conservative in some areas and not in others. I admire her because she knows what she believes and she takes a stand for it. The people I'm talking about have no backbone and they seem to change with the current of the wind. They want to be in the middle on everything so as not to offend either side. As most people know when you stand in the middle you get shot at from both sides. I have more respect for those who consider themselves liberals and have strong principles that they believe in.

A perfect example would be John McCain. Does anyone know what he truly believes? My best guess is he believes whatever will get him the most attention from the media. Thats a despicable way to live life in my opinion.

I'm not sure what Timothy will think about my use of this scripture in this context but it always comes to my mind on this issue. In Revelation God is talking about this church that is lukewarm:
"I know your deeds that you are neither cold nor hot; I would that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth."--Revelation 3: 15-16
And thats how I feel. I respect you if you have firm set of beliefs no matter what they may be. But if you seem to be someone who sticks his finger in the wind to find out which way its blowing, I'm not a big fan. Compromise is often necessary but when you are someone that is always willing to compromise your beliefs you've lost my respect.

Anyway, all of that to say I am not a big fan of Moderate Republican John Danforth. He was a senator here in Missouri before Ashcroft. Since then he has made his moderate voice known on various issues. The most recent is even though he's a Episcopalian minister he is all for the Stem Cell Research Amendment that is up for a vote here in November. No matter that it will force taxpayers to pay for experimentation on human life and will clone in the same way that Dolly the sheep was cloned. He is all for it and is out encouraging people to support it.


He has also written a new book entitled Faith and Politics. It always bothers me when liberal/moderate ministers lecture Conservative Christians on how they are not allowed to be involved in politics. As if somehow we are the only group in society that is not allowed to participate. He bashes Dobson and other conservatives and I'm sure I would be a perfect example of what is wrong with the Republican party. He wants the Republican party to be more centrist, more moderate. Do you know how that makes me gag? In other words he wants the Republican party to stand for nothing and sing kumbayah and can't we all get along? Meanwhile the Democrats are still unwilling to compromise and so all our principles get trampled on as we let the Democrats dictate how things should be done. The Democrats' defintion of compromise is doing it their way. I think not. And why does he have to bash his own party? When does ANYONE ask the Democrats not to be so partisan and to compromise on their principles? Never!!!

He is being praised by the MSM since they love anyone who criticizes evil Conservative Christians. The media and the Democrats may be big fans of the likes of John Danforth and John McCain but alas I am not!!

No comments: