Friday, October 27, 2006

My Boy, Ivan Rodriguez


I'm not into sports at all. But when my husband and I first got married we wanted to start a hobby together. We decided to collect baseball cards. We each picked a player and started to collect their cards. He picked Juan Gonzalez and I picked Ivan Rodriguez. At the time Juan Gonzalez was doing great and ofcourse my husband used logical methods in picking out who he wanted to be his favorite player. Why did I pick Ivan Rodriguez? Because I liked Texas and he was on the Texas Rangers at the time. He also was from Puerto Rico where I had just visited and had loved it there. The funny thing is it seems I picked the better player.


I started collecting his cards in 1992 and his rookie year was just one year earlier. So I got his cards cheap. Fourteen years later he has ranked up some great accomplishments. Here is an excerpt about him from wikipedia:
"Ivan Rodríguez Torres (born November 30, 1971, in Vega Baja, Puerto Rico), nicknamed "Pudge" "and occasionally "I-Rod", is a professional baseball player currently playing for the Detroit Tigers. He has a career batting average of .304 and has won eleven Gold Glove Awards as a catcher, as well as the American League Most Valuable Player Award in 1999. Iván is considered by many to be the greatest defensive catcher ever. His World Series ring with the Marlins in 2003 and leadership with the Tigers in 2006 earn him recognition as one of the greatest catchers of all time.

When Rodríguez made his major league debut with the Texas Rangers on June 20, 1991, he became the youngest person to catch in a major league game. He immediately established himself as an excellent hitter who was also proficient in throwing out would-be base-stealers. In fact, no other catcher in the past 35 years has been as successful at this aspect of the game, with Rodríguez throwing out 48% of attempted basestealers through May 2006, far more than the runner-up in this period, the late Thurman Munson."

All that to say I'm actually paying some attention to the World Series right now. And even though I'm from Missouri and should be cheering for the Cardinals I'm cheering for the Tigers. I was excited to see Rodriguez score a run last night even though they lost the game. And again being an optimist I'm hoping they will somehow be able to win the next 3 games to win the World Series.

No comments: