Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Encouragement for the Day & Other Stuff


Cajun Tiger just recently talked about how awesome the group Rascal Flatts is and I would have to agree. I encourage everyone to go listen to the song "My Wish" that I have absolutely fallen in love with. It is so inspiring and encouraging. It will make your day. Here are some of the lyrics:
"I hope that the days come easy and the moments pass slow,
And each road leads you where you want to go,
And if you're faced with a choice, and you have to choose,
I hope you choose the one that means the most to you.
And if one door opens to another door closed,
I hope you keep on walkin' till you find the window,
If it's cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile,

But more than anything, more than anything,
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small,

You never need to carry more than you can hold,
And while you're out there getting where you're getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too,
Yeah, this, is my wish.

I hope you never look back, but ya never forget,
All the ones who love you, in the place you left,
I hope you always forgive, and you never regret,
And you help somebody every chance you get,
Oh, you find God's grace, in every mistake,
And you always give more than you take
."


President Bush is on a roll and gave another awesome speech yesterday, this time to the UN. He spoke directly to the people of Lebanon, Iran, Syria and Darfur. He offered them words of hope and thats why this conservative loves him. The KC Star printed my recent letter to the editor and titled it "Defense of President":
I’m writing this letter in response to Shawn Kalmus’ letter of Sept. 11. I am so tired of the grossly unfair attacks that are made against our president on a daily basis.

President Bush has kept this country safe with his courage in fighting the war on terror. President Clinton stood by as terrorist attacks were committed against American citizens. He didn’t want to fight the terrorists because he knew it would be unpopular.

President Bush has stood strong and done the right thing whether it was popular or not. As a result, we haven’t had a terrorist attack on our soil since 9/11.

We owe President Bush a debt of gratitude, not constant criticism. I think history will regard him much more favorably than his poll ratings do now.


Patrick found a great article over at The Wall Street Journal. It is written by Cyrus Nowrasteh who wrote the mini-series The Path to 9/11 that recently aired on ABC. It is entitled "The Path to Hysteria". Go check it out, it is a great article. Here are some excerpts:
"My sin was to write a screenplay accurately depicting Bill Clinton's record on terrorism.

I am neither an activist, politician or partisan, nor an ideologue of any stripe. What I am is a writer who takes his job very seriously, as do most of my colleagues: Also, one who recently took on the most distressing and important story it will ever fall to me to tell. I considered it a privilege when asked to write the script for "The Path to 9/11." I felt duty-bound from the outset to focus on a single goal--to represent our recent pre-9/11 history as the evidence revealed it to be. The American people deserve to know that history: They have paid for it in blood. Like all Americans, I wish it were not so. I wish there were no terrorists. I wish there had been no 9/11. I wish we could squabble among ourselves in assured security. But wishes avail nothing.

The hysteria engendered by the series found more than one target. In addition to the death threats and hate mail directed at me, and my grotesque portrayal as a maddened right-winger, there developed an impassioned search for incriminating evidence on everyone else connected to the film. And in director David Cunningham, the searchers found paydirt! His father had founded a Christian youth outreach mission. The whiff of the younger Mr. Cunningham's possible connection to this enterprise was enough to set the hounds of suspicion baying. A religious mission! A New York Times reporter wrote, without irony or explanation, that an issue that raised questions about the director was his involvement in his father's outreach work. In the era of McCarthyism, the merest hint of a connection to communism sufficed to inspire dark accusations, the certainty that the accused was part of a malign conspiracy. Today, apparently, you can get something of that effect by charging a connection with a Christian mission.

Despite intense political pressure to pull the film right up until airtime, Disney/ABC stood tall and refused to give in. For this--for not buckling to threats from Democratic senators threatening to revoke ABC station licenses--Disney CEO Rober Iger and ABC executives deserve every commendation. Hence the 28 million viewers over two nights, and the ratings victory Monday night (little reported by the media), are gratifying indeed.

"The Path to 9/11" was set in the time before the event, and in a world in which no party had the political will to act. The principals did not know then what we know now. It is also indisputable that Bill Clinton entered office a month before the first attack on the World Trade Center. Eight years then went by, replete with terrorist assaults on Americans and American interests overseas. George W. Bush was in office eight months before 9/11. Those who actually watched the entire miniseries know that he was given no special treatment."

No comments: