Sunday, July 16, 2006

The War on Terror--Expanding!!!

Toon Credit: Glenn McCoy

Life has been crazy and I feel bad that I have been neglecting more substantial issues of late but I haven't been able to find the time. I got a real night's sleep last night and today I felt so good thinking--Wow thats what it feels like when you get sleep :-). Anyway, with the Middle East aflame right now I'm wanting to wade in with some research and opinions. This post will mainly just point to some good articles but I hope to do some heavier posts in the near future.

I think this editorial cartoon illustrates how it works to appease terrorists and how illogical it is to be bending over backwards worrying about terrorists' rights. Here are some excerpts from a great article that was written last year by Doug Patton. It describes how I feel about terrorists' rights:
"Are we fighting a war on terror or aren’t we? Was it or was it not started by Islamic people who brought it to our shores on September 11, 2001? Were people from all over the world, mostly Americans, not brutally murdered that day, in downtown Manhattan , across the Potomac from our nation’s capitol and in a field in Pennsylvania ? Did nearly three thousand men, women and children die a horrible, burning death that day, or didn’t they?

And I’m supposed to care that a copy of the Koran was “desecrated” when an overworked American soldier kicked it or got it wet? Well, I don’t. I don’t care at all.

I’ll start caring when Osama bin Laden turns himself in and repents for incinerating all those innocent people on 9/11.

I’ll care about the Koran when the fanatics in the Middle East start caring about the Holy Bible, the mere possession of which is a crime in Saudi Arabia .

I’ll care when Abu Musab al-Zarqawi tells the world he is sorry for hacking off Nick Berg’s head while Berg screamed through his gurgling, slashed throat.

I’ll care when the cowardly so-called “insurgents” in Iraq come out and fight like men instead of disrespecting their own religion by hiding in mosques.

I’ll care when the mindless zealots who blow themselves up in search of nirvana care about the innocent children within range of their suicide bombs.

I’ll care when the American media stops pretending that their First Amendment liberties are somehow derived from international law instead of the United States Constitution’s Bill of Rights.

I’ll care when Clinton-appointed judges stop ordering my government to release photos of the abuses at Abu Ghraib, which are sure to set off the Islamic extremists just as Newsweek’s lies did a few weeks ago.

In the meantime, when I hear a story about a brave marine roughing up an Iraqi terrorist to obtain information, know this: I don’t care.

When I see a fuzzy photo of a pile of naked Iraqi prisoners who have been humiliated in what amounts to a college hazing incident, rest assured that I don’t care.

When I see a wounded terrorist get shot in the head when he is told not to move because he might be booby-trapped, you can take it to the bank that I don’t care.

When I hear that a prisoner, who was issued a Koran paid for by my tax dollars, is complaining that his holy book is being “mishandled,” you can absolutely believe in your heart of hearts that I don’t care.

And oh, by the way, I’ve noticed that sometimes it’s spelled “Koran” and other times “Quran.” Well, Jimmy Crack Corn and — you guessed it — I don’t care!"

Ann Coulter's column this past week follows the same line of thinking. She's specifically talking about how the NY Times doesn't get it when it comes to fighting the war on terror and what we are up against. Here are some excerpts:
"When I told a New York Observer reporter that my only regret was that Timothy McVeigh didn't hit the New York Times building, I knew many would agree with me -- but I didn't expect that to include the New York Times. And yet, the Times is doing everything in its power to help the terrorists launch another attack on New York City.

We're in a battle for our survival and we don't even know who the enemy is. As liberals are constantly reminding us, Islam is a "Religion of Peace." One very promising method of distinguishing the "Religion of Peace" Muslims from the "Slit Their Throats" Muslims is by following the al Qaeda money trail.

But now we've lost that ability -- thanks to the New York Times.

People have gotten so inured to ridiculous behavior on the left that they are no longer capable of appropriate outrage when something truly treasonous happens. It is rather like the rape accusation against Bill Clinton losing its impact because of the steady stream of perjury, obstruction of justice, treason, adultery and general sociopathic behavior coming from that administration.


This is a phenomenon known in the self-help community as "Clinton fatigue" (not to be confused with the lower back pain associated with excessive sexual activity known as "Clinton back")."

All of this leads to what is currently going on right now in the Middle East. I am reticent to be critical of Bush but I am starting to wonder what we're waiting for. Iran is taunting us and we are still talking about diplomacy. I trust that Condi and W know what we are up against but I am concerned that we may be appearing weak like Bill Kristol points out in his excellent article. Take the time to read the whole thing, it is entitled "It's Our War". Here are some awesome excerpts:
"For while Syria and Iran are enemies of Israel, they are also enemies of the United States. We have done a poor job of standing up to them and weakening them. They are now testing us more boldly than one would have thought possible a few years ago. Weakness is provocative. We have been too weak, and have allowed ourselves to be perceived as weak.

The right response is renewed strength--in supporting the governments of Iraq and Afghanistan, in standing with Israel, and in pursuing regime change in Syria and Iran. For that matter, we might consider countering this act of Iranian aggression with a military strike against Iranian nuclear facilities. Why wait? Does anyone think a nuclear Iran can be contained? That the current regime will negotiate in good faith? It would be easier to act sooner rather than later. Yes, there would be repercussions--and they would be healthy ones, showing a strong America that has rejected further appeasement.

But such a military strike would take a while to organize. In the meantime, perhaps President Bush can fly from the silly G8 summit in St. Petersburg--a summit that will most likely convey a message of moral confusion and political indecision--to Jerusalem, the capital of a nation that stands with us, and is willing to fight with us, against our common enemies. This is our war, too."

The one thing I do know during this crisis in the Middle East is I am so glad George W. Bush is at the helm of our country and not some weak-kneed Democrat. I literally laughed out loud when I heard that Howard Dean said that we wouldn't be in this mess if Democrats were in charge and they would have the moral authority like Clinton did. Ha!!!! First of all moral authority and Clinton should never, ever be used in the same sentence. Second, that is the most absurd statement I've heard in the longest time. Please!!! Howie, you need to go back on your meds!!

No comments: