Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Politics in General


Tony Snow was awesome yesterday!! I can't tell you happy I am that he took this job. To read the transcript and/or watch the video of the press conference go here! He got emotional about his recovery from cancer and mentioned that his mother had died from the same cancer. Patrick did a post talking about how difficult this cancer was and how admirable it is that he's willing to do this job after having gone through so much. I agree, it gives me even more admiration for him. Suzie also did a good post!!
Favorite lines:
"Let me remind you--we are in a war on terror." (He said this to Helen Thomas :-))

"Are you suggesting we have too much prosperity?"

"You know, it's one of these things where America -- whatever we may say about a health care system, the technologies that were available to me that have me standing behind the podium today, where a doctor who said, you don't have to worry about getting cancer, just heartburn, talking to these people -- (laughter) -- that's a wonderful thing. And I feel every day is a blessing."

Rush was talking yesterday about how the Senate is worthless. He said the majority of the true conservatives are in the House of Representatives. So that inspired me to research the make-up of the Senate.

THE SENATE:
Democratic Senators: 45 (One Independent who in my opinion is a liberal democrat so he gets lumped in here)

Extremist Democrats (that I'm aware of, I'm sure I don't have all of them listed here): 13--Kennedy, Boxer, Byrd, Biden, Clinton, Durbin, Feingold, Harkin, Kerry, Leahy, Levin, Reid, Schumer

Republican Senators: 55

Moderate/Liberal Republicans: 10--Chafee, Coleman, Collins, Hagel, McCain, Murkowski, Roberts, Snowe, Martinez & Specter (this isn't a comprehensive list, just ones I'm aware of)

Strong Conservative Republicans (again these are just ones I'm aware of, I'm sure there are more): 7--Allen, Bond, Brownback, DeMint, Santorum, Talent & Thune

When you look at all of that its amazing anything good comes out of the Senate. When you combine the Democrat Senators and the Liberal Republican Senators you have 55. And I'm sure those numbers aren't exact. So then you only have 45 good Senators left. Among them I found 7 strong conservatives. I hope & pray there are more but am not sure. Frist can be conservative but does some moderate things from time to time that irritate me. So how do you get good bills thru with these numbers? Therein lies the problem. If we had more strong conservatives we wouldn't be in the mess we are in now. That speaks volumes to me that we need more conservatives in '06 not sitting out and not voting and letting the Democrats take the Senate back.

Let me know of other strong conservative senators or liberal ones that I haven't mentioned here.

No comments: