So what is the CIA leaker story all about?
Here are the facts:
1) CIA Officer Mary McCarthy was fired for leaking classified information to the media. It was national security information that may have endangered our country and aided the enemy. (She failed a polygraph and then admitted this according to the CIA.) Here is what Porter Goss had to say about these leaks:
"CIA Director Porter J. Goss told a Senate committee yesterday that unauthorized leaks of classified information about agency activities have caused "severe damage" to the CIA's operations and that journalists who report leaks should be questioned by a grand jury."
"...the damage has been very severe to our capabilities to carry out our mission." He added: "It is my aim and it is my hope that we will witness a grand jury investigation with reporters present being asked to reveal who is leaking this information. I believe the safety of this nation and the people of this country deserves nothing less."
2) McCarthy was hired during the Clinton administration by Sandy Berger. She worked with Joe Wilson. She was a big Kerry Supporter. She replaced Rand Beers who left to become Kerry's foreign policy advisor. She was also a member of group that included Generals Wesley Clark and Anthony Zinni. And there are even more connections that show a group effort to undermine the Bush administration and the War on Terror.
3) McCarthy is the "4th Clinton National Security Council Member to assault the Bush White House."--Rush Limbaugh The 1st 3 were: Sandy Berger, Richard Clarke and Joe Wilson.
4) Dana Priest from the Washington Post published the leaked information she learned from McCarthy and it won her a pulitzer prize.
5) The MSM is ignoring this story except to portray Mary McCarthy as a hero and a whistleblower. And here is John Kerry's pathetic attempt to justify her actions:
"...Of course not. Of course, not. A CIA agent has the obligation to uphold the law and clearly leaking is against the law, and nobody should leak. I don’t like leaking. But if you’re leaking to tell the truth, Americans are going to look at that, at least mitigate or think about what are the consequences that you, you know, put on that person. Obviously they’re not going to keep their job, but there are other larger issues here. You know, classification in Washington is a tool that is used to hide the truth from the American people. Daniel Patrick Moynihan was eloquent and forceful in always talking about how we needed to, you know, end this endless declassification that takes place in this city, and it has become a tool to hide the truth from Americans."
6) Mary McCarthy isn't a lone wolf but part of a rogue group within the CIA. Rush points out that there are people in the CIA, the State Department and the Pentagon that are hell bent on undermining Bush and the War on Terror. Here are some excerpts:
"A culture of treason, we are dealing with. The CIA is infested. If you think Mary McCarthy is the lone wolf over there, you have a lot to learn. If you think that there are not a bunch of Mary McCarthys at the State Department, and over at the Pentagon, you have a lot to learn about what's going on. The president of the United States decided, because of the new tone when he took office in 2001, not to clear out these Clinton holdovers and he's paying the price for it now -- and I think he's fully awakened to what his faces and the administration faces and what the objective of the Democratic Party has been ever since he was inaugurated and especially since the war in Iraq began.
But I have told you people since the last three or four years that the CIA and the state department are infested with career liberals and Clinton holdovers, and they are doing their best to undermine this administration, and they don't care how many American soldiers lose their lives. They don't care to whom we lose in the war on terror, the war with Iraq. It's all about destroying George W. Bush and this administration as well, I think, as continuing to cover up the incompetence of the Clinton administration. I think 9/11 has scared the hell out of these people and there's a lot to be learned about what was not done in the 1990s to deal with and respond to rising indications, alarming indications of terrorist attacks.
Now, the Weekly Standard recently had a piece about all of this, and here's just an excerpt. "The CIA's war against the Bush administration is one of the great untold stories of the past three years. It is, perhaps, the agency's most successful covert action of recent times. The CIA has used its budget to fund criticism of the administration by former Democratic officeholders. The agency allowed an employee, Michael Scheuer, to publish and promote a book containing classified information, as long as, in Scheuer's words, 'the book was being used to bash the president.' However, the agency's preferred weapon has been the leak. In one leak after another, generally to the New York Times or the Washington Post, CIA officials have sought to undermine America's foreign policy. Usually this is done by leaking reports or memos critical of administration policies or skeptical of their prospects. Through it all, our principal news outlets, which share the agency's agenda and profit from its torrent of leaks, have maintained a discreet silence about what should be a major scandal."
1) A huge hat tip to Curt at Flopping Aces for his awesome post on this. He did a ton of research and got linked by Michelle Malkin . When I printed the post out it was 23 pages. I got some of my info and the treason picture for this post from him.
2) The Democratic Party: A Culture of Treason
3) Goss Says Leaks Have Hurt CIA's Work, Urges Probe
4) McCarthy Matrix pic--Mind in the Qatar
5) KERRY: 'IF YOU'RE LEAKING TO TELL THE TRUTH...'
6) Leaking At All Costs
7) Glenn McCoy Cartoons
8) Hat tip to Mike and Wordsmith for pointing me to some of these sources.