Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Victory Over Anxiety #1


Five years ago I went through a really bad bout with anxiety. My personality was always prone to anxiety but in 2001 it all came to a head. I started having physical symptoms and panic attacks. And for any of you who have struggled at all with anxiety one panic attack will increase your fear and anxiety and cause you to have more and it becomes a vicious cycle. Before you were afraid and anxious about different things but then you become deathly afraid of another panic attack and that ofcourse is what will actually trigger another one.

It was the worst trial that I ever went through. But with God's grace He enabled me to have victory over it and it changed my life. I am living life now instead of being afraid and anxious. I got a lot of counseling and learned how to face, deal, and cope with it. To some extent it will always be my Achilles' heel but it doesn't paralyze me or hinder my life anymore.

When I was going through the worst of it I compiled some verses, prayer and quotes that were of great encouragement and comfort me. I recently shared these with a friend who is struggling in a very similar way with this that I did. I decided I am going to post them one at a time on my blog. If they encourage and help even one person they will have been worth it.

We all have our inner demons and struggles and we need to be honest and open about them so others will know they are not alone. Some may judge you but most will be glad you shared. Here is the first one I compiled:


I have not grasped God’s everlasting love for me. I know for me it has not been internalized the way it should be. So my heartfelt, fervent prayer is Ephesians 3:14-21. I have read it before & even prayed it for people before but it has taken on a new meaning for me during this time.

"For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may STRENGTHEN you with POWER through his Spirit in your INNER BEING, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being ROOTED & ESTABLISHED in LOVE, may have power together with all the saints, to GRASP how WIDE and LONG and HIGH and DEEP is the LOVE of Christ, and to KNOW this LOVE that SURPASSES KNOWLEDGE—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do IMMEASURABLY MORE than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever. Amen."



QUOTES FROM STORMIE OMARTIAN’S CHAPTER ON TRIALS IN THE POWER OF A PRAYING WIFE

"After all, if we never suffered anything, what kind of shallow, compassionless, impatient people would we be? But prayer can help maintain a positive outlook of gratitude, hope, patience, and peace in the midst of it…"

"His purpose for our trials is often to bring us humbly before Him to experience a breaking in our inner, independent, self-sufficient selves, and grow us up into compassionate, patient, spiritually strong, God-glorifying people. He uses these situations to teach us how to trust that He loves and cares for us enough to get us through the tough times."

"If nothing can separate us from the love of God, then no matter how bad it gets, we always have hope."

TRIAL PRAYER FROM STORMIE’S BOOK

God, You are our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble (Psalm 46:1). You have invited us to "approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need" (Hebrews 4:16). I come before Your throne and ask for grace. Strengthen my heart for this battle and give me patience to wait on You (Psalm 27:1-4). Build me up so that no matter what happens I will be able to stand strong through it. Help me to be always "be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer (Romans 12:12). Give me endurance to run the race and not give up, for You have said that "a righteous man may fall seven times, he rises again"(Proverbs 24:16). Help me to remember that "if the Lord delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand" (Psalm 37:23,24).
I pray I will look to You to be my "refuge until the disaster has passed" (Psalm 57:1). May I learn to wait on You because "those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint" (Isaiah 40:31). I pray that I will find my strength in You and as I call out to You, You will hear me and save me out of all my troubles" (Psalm 34:6).

No comments: