Monday, January 02, 2006

Happy New Year 2006


Prayer for the New Year

Dear Lord, please give me…
A few friends who understand me and remain my friends;
A work to do which has real value, without which the world would be the poorer;
A mind unafraid to travel, even though the trail be not blazed;
An understanding heart;
A sense of humor;
Time for quiet, silent meditation;
A feeling of the presence of God;
The patience to wait for the coming of these things,
With the wisdom to recognize them when they come.
Amen.
--Anonymous

This prayer really expresses how I feel about this year. I found it on the Presidential Prayer Team's website.

I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions but I do have a few personal and political list of things I'd like to see happen this year.

Personal:
1) Take more risks
2) Be less judgmental and more accepting of myself and others
3) Finish my homeschool year out well with my kids
4) Find a political job by this fall

Political:
1) Alito would be confirmed to the Supreme Court
2) Republicans would keep control of the House & Senate
3) My senator Jim Talent would win re-election
4) Hillary Clinton will lose her senate seat
5) The Iraqis would have a peaceful democracy

Oliver North wrote a really good column this past week. The subject was New Year's Resolutions. Here is an excerpt that I thought was particurarly good:

"Left-wing filmmaker Michael Moore should resolve to make a documentary on liberal hypocrisy -- and he can start with himself. After making his name by bashing corporate America, it was revealed by Peter Schweizer's new book "Do As I Say, (Not as I Do)," that Moore owns thousands of shares of stock in Halliburton -- the company that liberals love to hate, especially Moore, who lambasted the company in his movie "Fahrenheit 9/11."

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld should resolve to do what he always has done -- ignore his critics. Every few months, the "enlightened" Washington press corps writes Rumsfeld's political obituary only to have to update it months later with the accomplishments he's achieved in the interim.

President Bush should resolve to fight in 2006 like he fought the last month of 2005 -- with courage and conviction. After months of letting his critics get the better of him, he decided to engage them, and in some cases, go over their heads directly to the people. Surprise, surprise -- his poll numbers improved.

The soldiers, sailors, airmen, Guardsmen and Marines of the U.S. military should resolve to keep doing exactly what they are doing -- defending American citizens and doing so with pride and honor. And the public should resolve to do even more to support those who are sacrificing so much for our country.

As for me, I resolve to be less opinionated in the New Year -- a resolution I vow to keep at least until my next column. Happy New Year."


I personally am excited about what this year holds. I view it as a new adventure. I'm a little nervous about changes that may happen but mostly I'm excited and willing to face the challenge. I wish a Happy New Year for all of you too.

P.S. My picture at the top of this post is from a conservative website that is worth your time to check out. It is described as "A New-Media Reading Room for Conservatives".

9 comments:

Lone Pony said...

LMC, great post! The Michael Moore one is, well, You Go Girl! Oh yeah: TAG! You’re it!

Crazy Politico said...

Happy New Year. Remember every new year brings new challenges. If they didn't what fun would life be?

Little Miss Chatterbox said...

Lone Pony: Thanks! Yah, I liked the Michael Moore part too.

Crazy: You are exactly right and Happy New Year to you too.

ABFreedom said...

LMC .. here's hoping your wishes come true, good luck, and keep fighting the good fight ... Happy New Year.

The volume of hypocrisy list spewing from Michael Moore weighs as much as he does... would that be in tons?

Patrick Joubert Conlon said...

Well said. Maybe you'll be the next Peggy Noonan, LMC. My generation is all washed up. I'm putting all my hopes on youngsters like you. Wishing you health, wealth and happiness.

Little Miss Chatterbox said...

ABF: Thanks and you make a very good point about Moore.

Patrick: Thanks so much. As always you are way too kind. My dream is to be like Peggy Noonan but she got started on her career a lot earlier than I did :-).

The Catskill Chronicle said...

And a Happy to you as well. Good commentary here.

I've published a good Muslim cartoon today on my website you might enjoy.

CLICK HERE

James Manning said...

I wish you luck on your personal goals. A job in politics, huh? You'd be pretty good at that. It's a new year - all you can do is go for it.

Little Miss Chatterbox said...

Catskill: Thanks for stopping by. I checked out the cartoon and it was good.

James: It means a lot to me that you would say that coming from the other side of the aisle polically. Thats why you're my favorite lib :-). Thanks!!