Friday, November 11, 2005

Happy Veteran's Day

Happy Birthday to the Marines and Happy Veteran's Day!!!
My heartfelt thanks goes out to all the veterans and those fighting for our freedoms even as I write this. Here are some quotes that speak for themselves:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."--Ronald Reagan

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."--John Stuart Mill

"Let us not mourn for those who have died fighting but rather let us be glad that such heroes have lived."

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." ~Elmer Davis

"Freedom is never free." ~Author Unknown

"I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."
Nathan Hale, last words, 22 September 1776 (attributed)
US martyr & patriot in American Revolution (1755 - 1776
I also want to direct people again to this website and you need to click on QuietCommercial.wmv. It is a moving tribute and thank-you to our troops. May God bless our men and women who have fought and are fighting for our country. Words can never express how much we owe you.

SIDENOTE: I didn't think there could be liberal/politically correct quotation sites. I naively assumed that quotation sites would be objective. Hardly any of the sites even had Veteran's Day as a topic and when I would click on the patriotism sections I would get quotes that George Soros could use to bash this country. A little disheartening. If anyone knows of a good quotation website besides quotegarden.com let me know. Thanks.

UPDATE: Focus on the Family has done an AWESOME tribute to our soldiers today. Take the time to listen. This is what the MSM should be doing.

5 comments:

Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

11 11 05
Great post. I actually did find a screwed up libnazi post about Veterans day and want to erase it from my memory! Yep freedom ain't free and once we accept that, I am sure we will treat Veteran's better. HOpefully the government will do so and stop cutting their medical benefits! My brother got out of the Air Force a couple of years ago and they are forever jerking him around! Good post!

Little Miss Chatterbox said...

Thanks, Mahndisa. I agree. Our military personnel and their families need to be paid better and have better medical care.

Patrick Joubert Conlon said...

Chatterbox, I loved that John Stuart Mill quote.

I get my favorite quotes from Great Books Online.

Where it says "Select Search" there is a scroll down menu with about four different quote sources.

I just looked for another Mill quote under the "Columbia" section and found this:

If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.

Gyrobo said...

Kansas City is in Missouri?! When did this happen?!

Little Miss Chatterbox said...

Gyrobo: Kansas City is on the state line of Kansas and Missouri. I live on the Missouri side but the Kansas side is only 20 minutes away.