Thursday, March 31, 2005

Heroes

As I mourned the passing of Terri Schiavo today I reflected on what it all meant. I was sad a life had been needlessly taken. All of life is sacred, precious and valuable. I was sad our judicial system had deteriorated to the point that it appeared a judge had more power than a Governor, the U.S. Congress and the President of the United States. I was sad that our society wasn't able to stop the starvation of an innocent woman.

But then my attention turned to the heroes in this story. The first hero that came to my mind was Bobby Schindler. As I watched this saga play out he always exhibited such grace under pressure. He was strong but caring, aggressive but not accusatory or vindictive. How many people have a brother that would care as much as he did and represent her so well? Next was the Bush brothers. They have taken a lot of heat over this case. They have been attacked by conservatives for not doing enough and attacked by liberals for doing too much. President Bush's comments today were very meaningful and made me so proud that he is our President. He gave words of comfort and reminded everyone that "the essence of civilization is that the strong have a duty to protect the weak." Could it be said any better than that?

The list of heroes is long: Terri's parents, sister, other family members, the millions of people who prayed and cared, the lawyers who cared about the value of life, the politicians who put everything aside on their legislative agendas to try & save her life, the nurses and doctors who said she had hope, Mel Gibson for speaking the truth, the many pastors and the conservative media, especially Sean Hannity. There are many others that are too numerous to name.

Peggy Noonan quoted John Adams in a recent column "...no effort in favor of virtue is lost." I think that sums it up so well. Sometimes we don't get the desired result we want but we know that God is at work. As I saw Terri slipping away I knew her life would be lost but God would work some good out of it. I don't think all this effort has been in vain. There has been a lot of "effort in favor of virtue" in this case and it won't be lost. People have been reminded that all of life is valuable. The Schindler family saw a lot of people they didn't even know come to their aid through prayer, legal help and and countless other things. I pray that this will be the case to help reign in judicial tyranny. As Joseph said to his brothers, "you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good." Maybe Terri is our modern day Esther and she lived for "such a time as this".

No comments: